For all those who had a problem jailbreaking their iPhone with ZiPhone 2.5, can checkout the latest version ZiPhone, v2.5c which has been released by Zibri which
fixes some of the issues.
If you are facing a problem with YouTube post the jailbreak as reported by
some of the readers, then you can also checkout the excellent step-by-step
guide to fix the YouTube problem by none other then an iPhone Hacks reader, SpikeyMikey303.
Based on feedback from readers, ZiPhone is the easiest methods so far to JailBreak iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 and hence also very popular with iPhone owners.
However, quite a few readers here @ iPhone Hacks have reported that they are having problems with YouTube post Jailbreaking their iPhone and had asked me if I had a solution to fix the YouTube problem (an issue which many faced with previous versions of the iPhone firmware as well). Unfortunately I am no iPhone hacking genius I am just a passionate iPhone fanboy and a humble reporter of all the hacks, applications and news on the iPhone.
But today I have some good news as iPhone Hacks reader SpikeyMikey303 has figured out a way to fix the YouTube problem on his Jailbroken iPhone running Firmware 1.1.4. He has also gone a step ahead and has been kind enough to send me an excellent step-by-step guide to fix it which could help other iPhone Hacks readers.
Before I go into the details it is important to mention that before you jailbreak your iPhone or go ahead to fix the YouTube problem, be sure to backup in iTunes so that you can restore your iPhone if something goes terribly wrong and since I have not tried this out myself so I am not in a position to confirm either way so do remember that hacking your iPhone is completely at your own risk.
The 24 Steps (15 steps if you already have a JailBroken iPhone) might seem a daunting task,but if you quickly run through it, you will realize it is fairly straight forward.
So lets just start with SpikeyMikey303’s step-by-step guide to fix the YouTube problem on your iPhone.
Below are the links to the files you will need to successfully JailBreak iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 as well as fix the YouTube problem.
iPhone 1.1.4: Download Link
ZiPhone 2.5c: Download Link
WinSCP: Download Link
SpikeyMikey303’s 1.1.4 Activated YouTube Files: Download Link
If you are looking to first jailbreak your iPhone then you will need to start with step 1, however if you have already JailBroken your iPhone then you can skip the first 9 steps and proceed directly to the 10th step.
Step-by-Step Guide to JailBreak iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 using ZiPhone:
1. Download and save (to the desktop) iPhone firmware 1.1.4 (Download Link).
2. Open iTunes and connect your iPhone.
3. Hold "Shift" Key on a Windows system or hold the "Option" key on a Mac and click "Restore".
4. Browse to the Desktop (or wherever you saved the 1.1.4 file) and double click "iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4a102_restore".
5. Once iTunes has completed the 1.1.4 restore, setup the name of your device/restore contacts etc.
6. Download and save the latest version of ZiPhone (2.5c) to your desktop (Download Link).
7. Once downloaded, double click on "ZiPhonewin-2.5c.exe", extract to the destination of your choice and once extracted, ZiPhone will run.
8. In ZiPhone, click "do it all" and let ziphone do its thing (this should take about 3 minutes).
9. Now you have a Jailbroken iPhone running 1.1.4!
The actual YouTube Fix starts here:
10. Turn auto-lock to never (Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never).
11. Connect to your Wi-Fi network (if need be) and run installer from your SpringBoard (iPhone home screen).
12. Download "BSD Subsystem" and "OpenSSH".
13. Download WinSCP (if you don’t have it already). (Download Link).
14. Once WINSCP is installed, run it…
Host name: (iPhone’s IP address)
File protocol: SCP
Click "Yes" to security breach warning.
Here are the instructions on how to find out your iPhone’s IP address:
- Tap on Settings on your iPhone’s Home screen.
- Then Tap on Wi-Fi from the Settings menu.
- Then next to your selected network name (indicated with a tick mark on
the left hand side) tap on the blue circle with the arrow in it.
- Your iPhone’s IP Address will be displayed on the next screen.
15. On the right hand side, double click on "library", then "lockdown".
16. Next, delete "device_public_key.pem", "device_private_key.pem" and "data_ark.plist".
17. Double click on "activation_records" and delete any files inside, once completed return to previous folder by hitting backspace.
18. Double click on "pair_records" and delete any files inside, once completed return to the previous folder by hitting backspace.
19. Download and save SpikeyMikey303’s YouTube activation files (save and unzip onto desktop). (Download Link)
20. Drag and drop "device_public_key.pem", "device_private_key.pem" and "data_ark.plist" into winscp, and click copy.
21. Double click on "activation_records" in WinSCP, drag and drop the file "89014103211556075053" from the downloaded file into here.
22. Double click on "pair_records" in WinSCP, drag and drop the files "2991634953036728237753880" and "29916349521148473128163200" from the downloaded file into here.
23. Restart your iPhone, reset the settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings).
24. Your iPhone will reboot automatically… Now open YouTube from the springboard (iPhone home screen), it may flash "Cannot connect to YouTube" for a moment (this will only appear the first time you run YouTube), but will successfully connect, and allow you to search/watch YouTube videos!
It will great to know if the instructions provided by SpikeyMikey303 helped you resolve the YouTube problem in the comments or if yes don’t forget to drop in a thank you note to your fellow reader (SpikeyMikey303) who has made it possible.
Thanks a ton SpikeyMikey303 for the excellent step-by-step guide, appreciate the effort.
Update (31st March):
Update (30th March):
If you are having problems using ZiPhone, you might want to checkout iLiberty: Easy to use Application to JailBreak, Activate and Unlock iPhone.
Recommended Read: If you are still facing problems with YouTube on your jailbroken iPhone then check out the Native iPhone App – MxTube which allows you to Download and Save YouTube videos on your iPhone.
Top iPhone Hacks Categories:
- iPhone Applications
- Unlock iPhone
- JailBreak iPhone
- iPhone Tips & Tricks
- iPhone Games
- iPhone News
What next?Like this post? Share it!