The iPhone hacking community has already brought us as a range of musical applications to the iPhone. First it was PocketGuitar – a touchscreen guitar, then iAno – a touchscreen piano and finally folks at MooCowMusic had released Drummer which turns your iPhone or iPod Touch into a drum pad.
They have recently released a native iPhone application called Band which as the name suggests brings all of these musical applications together into a single app along with a lot of interesting features.
With the native iPhone application Band you can now play and record multiple instruments such as drums, bass, guitars, keyboards into one song. There are also no limits on the instrument interface as it allows for expansion and additional user-created instruments via ‘instrument packs’. You can play these multiple instruments along with your MP3s.
The features of the Band Application are mentioned below:
- Play and record multiple instruments
- Drums, bass, guitars, keyboards can all be played and recorded into one song from the same application.
- There are no limits on the instrument interface, enabling not only standard instruments but also unusual, outlandish, or completely novel instruments to be created and played.
- MooCowMusic: Band can be expanded with future instrument packs and user-created instruments.
- Multitouch – press up to five keys at once for complex chords.
- Animation shows keys being pressed, strings being struck, etc.
- User-definable instruments
- All instruments in MooCowMusic:Band are defined as simple text files, making it easy to create your own instruments to use within the application. As long as you can edit a text file, create or find some sound samples, and create a graphic backdrop, then you can design and build your own instrument. Alternatively you can import instruments that other people have created for you by simply copying them to the application Instruments folder.
- Recording and Playback
- Any instrument can be recorded, or overdubbed onto a previous recording. The only limitation is note polyphony.
- Each instrument has an overlayed panel at the top of the screen containing all the common controls for recording and choosing an instrument.
- Via a settings menu, the user can erase any mistakes by erasing select instruments from the mix, or even the last few notes recorded.
- After erasing, the user can go back and overdub replacement notes onto the track.
- To aid in timing, a metronome is available which can be enabled or disabled during recording.
- The metronome tempo is configurable, as is the number of beats per bar.
- Advanced audio engine
- Mono or stereo samples. 14.1Khz 16Bit.
- Multisampled instruments, with each key triggering a separate sample.
- Samples stop when you lift your finger, allowing more expression.
- Configurable Attack stage of playback allows samples to fade in gradually.
- Configurable Release stage of playback allows samples to fade out when you release the note.
- Samples can be defined to loop for as long as the key is pressed.
- Each instrument can be indepenently panned and its volume set, to position it in the mix.
- Each instrument can be muted.
- Each instrument can be soloed (mute all other instruments and just allow this one to play).
- Play along to your MP3s.
You can checkout the clip of the native iPhone application in action below:
Band is a native
iPhone application which means you will need a jailbroken iPhone. (You can check out one of these iPhone software on how to jailbreak your iPhone: ZiPhone 3.0 – New version of Popular tool to JailBreak and Unlock iPhone or iLiberty: Easy to use Application to JailBreak, Activate and Unlock iPhone. ZiPhone or Liberty will also install the Installer App as part of the
Band can then be installed via the Installer App.
As always, it will be great to get your feedback on the latest native iPhone application in the comments below.
Top iPhone Hacks Categories: