The iPhone Dev Team have just released their much awaited Pwnage Tool 2.0 which can jailbreak and unlock the original iPhone running firmware 2.0. It can also jailbreak iPhone 3G, but no unlocking solution for iPhone 3G as of now.
The details of their Pwnage tool and download link are available after the jump.
The iPhone Dev Team have just released Pwnage Tool 2.0, but they plan to make the official announcement in sometime, so I am not in a position to give you all the details.
Nevertheless, based on the live chat Pytey of the iPhone Dev Team had with Erica Sadun, we can expect the following:
- Pwnage Tool 2.0 should be able to jailbreak, unlock and activate original iPhones running iPhone firmware 2.0.
- You should also be able jailbreak iPod Touch with it.
- The Pwnage tool should install the Open Source Package Installer and Handler for the iPhone,
Installer appCydia which should make installing the unofficial native iPhone apps easier.
- Pytey has also clarified that the Installer app and Cydia will coexist with the App Store, so you should be able to install official as well as unofficial native iPhone applications after jailbreaking your original iPhone running firmware 2.0.
- The tool is currently available only for Mac users.
- Pwnage 2.0 will not unlock iPhone 3G as of now. The iPhone Dev Team have been able to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.0 running on iPhone 3G, however they are currently working on unlocking iPhone 3G, so if you have an iPhone 3G then you need to be patient as the iPhone Dev Team are quite confident they will be able to crack it as well.
You can download Pwnage Tool v2.0 (file size: 19.7 MB), by following this link. It is recommended that you wait for initial reports to trickle in before trying the tool, but if can’t wait to check it out, the comments section is all yours, let us know how it goes. Please don’t forget to backup your iPhone.
I will update the post, as soon as I get more details, so do stay tuned here at iPhone Hacks.
Thanks a ton elWilly for the news tip!
Windows users check this out:
Pwnage 2.0 will also be able to jailbreak iPhone 3G, however as mentioned earlier it will not be able to unlock iPhone 3G.
Here are some precautions you should take before you use the Pwnage Tool:
- Launch Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities and type mkdir “~/Library/iTunes/Device Support” – (this is something you should do if you get error 1600 in iTunes)
- Delete all iPhone software updates from ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
- Launch Activity Monitor (located in /Applications/Utilities)
Take note of the following while using the tool:
- Use the 1,1 image of iPhone firmware 2.0 for the original iPhones. You can check this link for more details.
- Turn iPhone “off” while building the custom ipsw file.
The iPhone Dev Team have updated their post with the following workaround if DFU restores are giving you trouble.
Another route to
pwned 2.0 for 1G owners is to use our first pwnage at 1.1.4. Once you
are pwned there, you can do a normal recovery-mode restore to your
custom 2.0 ipsw. BTW the iPhone does *not* need to be pre-pwned to be
able to DFU-restore into a pwned ipsw — it needs to be pre-pwned only
for normal recovery-mode restores of custom ipsw’s.
Update (9th Aug, 2008):
[via iPhone Dev Team's blog]
Top iPhone Hacks Categories: