We have already seen a method to send and receive free SMS using iPhone 3G. This is another way to send free SMS if you just bought an iPhone 3G and want to avoid paying $5 per month to $20 per month for SMS as per AT&T’s iPhone 3G rate plans.
This method is simpler and only requires AOL’s AIM iPhone App to be installed (if you don’t have installed already).
Jeff Carlson over at TidBITS has published a step by step guide to send free SMS from the iPhone 3G. Here are the simple steps can need to follow:
- Install the AIM iPhone app from iTunes App Store.
- You need to then create a new contact whose AIM address is a plus sign and the mobile number of a
friend, such as "+12065551212".
- Then launch AIM from iPhone’s home screen. As your contact list is stored on AIM’s servers, you should be able to see the newly added contact.
- Tap the buddy’s name, compose a text message, and tap Send.
- When the other person receives the message and writes a reply, the return message appears in AIM.
I am not sure if this will work outside of US or Canada, but will work on the first generation iPhone (makes sense if you have exhausted your free SMS messages) as well as iPod Touch.
It might not be the perfect solution if you an SMS junkie but a neat solution nevertheless if you want to send those one-off text messages to your friends.
Let us know how it goes.
Top iPhone Hacks Categories:
What next?Like this post? Share it!