Apple released iTunes 8 yesterday which introduced some really cool features like Genius, however it appears that some iPhone users are facing issues after upgrading to iTunes 8.
G-rod, one of regular readers here at iPhone Hacks, pointed us to this Apple discussions thread which indicates that 32-bit as well as 64-bit Windows Vista users are reporting blue screen of death (BSOD) each time they plug in their iPhone or iPod Touch.
Workaround for Blue Screen of Death (BSOD):
One of the ways to fix the BSOD problem is to downgrade back to iTunes 7.7. However, it could result in iPhone apps getting erased.
One user has pointed out that doing a clean install (completely uninstalling your previous version of iTunes before loading up iTunes 8) has resulted in no BSOD errors for him on Vista 64-bit. However, I guess that would mean you will lose your iPhone backups.
Apple is currently investigating the issue and is requesting users for dump files to help diagnose the problem.
If you are facing the BSOD issue, then you can following these instructions to send Apple the dump files (courtesy user toonz):
- From the Start menu, right-click on Computer and choose Properties.
- Click Advanced System Settings.
- Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section of the window that appears.
- In the Write debugging information section, choose Small memory
dump. The Small dump directory section of the window tells you where
you will look for the dump file.
- Click OK.
- Plug in the iPod to cause the BSOD.
- When the computer reboots, unplug the iPod.
- Look in the specified directory (in step 4) for the minidump file.
- Attach the file in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include
your Discussions username, a link to this thread, and also the revision
of iPod nano you have.
As always, do let us know if you are facing this problems and if the workaround helps or in case you have figured a better way to resolve the issue.
Thanks G-rod for the heads up and hope this resolves your issue as well for the timebeing.
I will keep you all posted in case any more details are available on this issue or any other issue so stay tuned here at iPhone Hacks.
Top iPhone Hacks Categories:
What next?Like this post? Share it!