The iPhone Dev Team had released the Pwnage Tool v2.1 and QuickPwn v1.1 to jailbreak and unlock the 1st Gen iPhone and jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.1 almost immediately after it was released by Apple last week. However, the tools were only for Mac users.
They have now released their QuickPwn v2.1 for Windows users that supports iPhone firmware 2.1.
The QuickPwn Tool is quite popular with iPhone users as it makes it quicker and easier to
jailbreak iPhone as it does not need iTunes-based full restore.
The latest version of the QuickPwn v1.1 for Windows users can be used to jailbreak and unlock the 1st generation iPhone running firmware 2.1. It can also jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.1.
It cannot unlock iPhone 3G as of now nor can it jailbreak the 2nd generation iPod Touch that was released by Steve Jobs at Apple’s Special event last week.
Here is a step-by-step guide provided by Srini, one of our regular readers on how to use the tool:
1. Upgrade to iTunes 8.0.
2. Sync your iPhone with iTunes. Backup your data.
3. Download the 2.1 ipsw from this link.
4. From iTunes 8.0, hold shift and hit restore.
5. After iTunes restores your phone with 2.1 firmware and comes up for activation, Launch Quickpwn2.1-1.
6. Select the installed 2.1 ipsw in the relevant screen.
7. Select the bootloaders and hit next.
8. Follow the instructions on Quickpwn and voila!!
"I did this and got my iphone 2G on 2.1 up and running in 20 mins flat!!"
Please don’t forget to backup your iPhone before hacking your iPhone with the latest QuickPwn Tool.
As always, please do let us know how it goes.
Thanks a ton Srini for the instructions. Thanks Jacek and folks at Quick Pwn for tip.
[via iPhone Dev Team’s blog]
Top iPhone Hacks Categories:
What next?Like this post? Share it!