The Dev Team had warned iPhone 3G users against updating to firmware 2.2.1
as it also included a baseband update which breaks the "injection hole"
that they had used in their application yellowsn0w to modify the
firmware which had helped to successfully unlock iPhone 3G.
So if you want to update your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2.1 but at the same time preserve its baseband so that you can also unlock it then you should follow our step-by-step guide to use Dev Team's PwnageTool.
If you don't want to unlock your iPhone 3G now or anytime in the future and only want to jailbreak it to install jailbreak iPhone apps then you can update your iPhone 3G with firmware 2.2.1 using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to jailbreak it.
So here is our updated step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Mac users updated for iPhone firmware 2.2.1.
Some important points to note before we start:
- Hacking your iPhone 3G could void its warranty. So please proceed with caution.
- You should NOT use this guide if you want to unlock your iPhone 3G. You should use PwnageTool as it preserves the baseband, you can checkout our step-by-step guide to use Dev Team's PwnageTool.
- This guide is to jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.2.1.
- This guide is for Mac users, Windows users can checkout our Step-by-Step guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.2.1 using QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 for Windows.
If you have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.6 (or using the new MacBooks) and facing a problem then it is because the latest update prevents your Mac from recognizing iPhone in DFU mode which is important to jailbreak iPhone 3G.
The Dev team had suggested possible fixes which they have noted that one should try at their own risk:
Use a USB hub in-between the DFU device and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone’s USB cable. (recommended solution)
Preparatory steps before jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Please take a backup of your iPhone, refer to this post for more details.
- Please ensure that you have upgraded iTunes to iTunes 8.0.2.
- Please download QuickPwn 2.2.5 for Mac from any of these download links:
If your iPhone 3G firmware Version is 2.2.1 (5H11) and Modem Firmware is 02.30.03 then you are ready to jailbreak your iPhone 3G, you can skip directly to "Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn" below.
If you want to update your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2.1 then you can
follow the steps mentioned below ("Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone
Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone Firmware 2.2.1:
- Please note this method does NOT preserve the baseband, so by updating to iPhone firmware 2.2.1 using this method your iPhone 3G's baseband will also get updated from 02.28.00 to 02.30.03. Dev Team's software unlocking application yellowsn0w does NOT work with baseband 02.30.03, it only works with baseband 02.28.00.
- Please download firmware 2.2.1 for iPhone 3G using this link.
- Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Hold the OPTION key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw file for firmware 2.2.1 that you have downloaded in step 1 and click “Open”.
- iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2.1 which takes sometime, please wait for the process to complete.
Once your iPhone 3G is updated to iPhone firmware 2.2.1, you are ready to use the QuickPwn tool to jailbreak it.
Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn:
- Launch QuickPwn to start jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Click Ok to accept the copyright notice.
- You will then be prompted to connect your iPhone 3G to the computer, click the OK button once its connected.
- QuickPwn will automatically detect your iPhone 3G.
- QuickPwn will now automatically search for the latest firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be asked if you would like to replace the original boot and recovery logos on your iPhone. You can either select Yes or No to continue.
- QuickPwn will then build the custom iPhone firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be prompted to enter your administrator username and password. Enter it and then click OK to continue.
- QuickPwn will put your iPhone into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade mode). It will prompt you to turn off your iPhone 3G.
- Then you will be prompted to hold both the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Finally, you will prompted to release the Power button while you continue holding down the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- If successful, you should see the message below where QuickPwn starts sending information to your iPhone 3G to jailbreak it and will be notified that QuickPwn is modifying your iPhone 3G. This step will take sometime and will result in your iPhone getting rebooted. Please don't interrupt the process.
- After your iPhone 3G reboots, it will be jailbroken and will have Cydia and Installer apps installed and visible on your iPhone's home screen.
As always, don't forget to drop us a line to tell us how it goes.[via iClarified]