Tweetie has been one of the most popular iPhone apps on the App Store.
Now, news is here that a big update is round the corner and Tweetie 2.0 is coming very soon. Tweetie 2.0 will require iPhone OS 3.0 and will be available for $2.99 on the App Store.
According to Loren Brichter, the developer of Tweetie, the new app is "faster, slimmer, and much more powerful". In a blog post published on his website, Loren talks about all the new features that shall be available on Tweetie 2.0. Here is a gist of the most interesting things that you can expect to see
- 'Persistent' caching which would let you go straight to the page where you were when you last quit the app
- Message indicators for new @replies and Direct Messages
- Automatic refreshing of tweet stream on scrolling up
- Search timeline that displays filter results as you type
- Geotagging of tweets
- Save tweets as drafts before publishing
- New tweeting options to retweet, mail or translate tweets.
- Enhanced threaded conversations and a lot more.
- Video tweet support for iPhone 3GS users.
Loren says Tweetie 2.0 is "arguably even simpler than Tweetie 1, all while being vastly more powerful". The app is likely to be submitted to the Apple App Store this week and should be available soon after approval. If you remember, Tweetie v1.3 was rejected by Apple because the 'trending list' sourced from Twitter supposedly contained a "dirty word" (the app was later approved). We hope Tweetie 2.0 does not face similar hurdles and is available to the iPhone users as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, Tweetie 2.0 is not a free upgrade for current Tweetie for iPhone users, it will cost them $2.99 as Loren believes "Tweetie 2 for iPhone will be a whole new app".
You can also checkout some screenshots of Tweetie 2.0 posted by folks at Mashable who had a chance to play around with it:
Which is your favorite Twitter iPhone app? What do you think about the new features of Tweetie 2.0?