Apple has seeded iOS 4.0 Golden Master; earlier known as iPhone OS 4.0 to developers of its iPhone Developer program. As with the earlier beta versions, the "Golden Master" version of iOS 4.0 is also available only to iPhone developers at present.
The Golden Master version means that it is the shipping version of the software that developers must use to develop and submit iPhone apps that are compatible with iOS 4.0.
According to initial reports from Engadget, the GM version of iOS 4 is pretty similar to the iPhone OS Beta 4 that was released to developers last month.
However, the installation process requires users to install the latest beta version of iTunes 9.2. This latest version of iTunes includes several new features like support for app folders, syncing of eBooks and PDFs that have been introduced in iOS 4.0. Here is the list of enhancements in iTunes 9.2:
- Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go
- Sync and read books with iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4 and iBooks 1.1
- Organize and sync PDF documents as books. Read PDFs with iBooks 1.1 on iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4
- Organize your apps on your iPhone OS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes
- Faster back-ups while syncing an iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4
- Performance improvements make scrolling much faster
Developers looking to download the iPhone SDK 4 GM Seed version can do so from the Apple Developer website here. We will let you know if we discover something interesting in the new version of iOS 4.0.