As you know, Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) is currently underway in San Francisco. As part of the event, Apple announced their annual Design Awards yesterday.
The company has noted on the Developers website that the award is given to applications that "demonstrate technical excellence, innovation, superior technology adoption, high performance, and outstanding design".
There is an equal mix of iPhone and iPad apps in this year's awardee list. The winning applications have come from multiple categories including Business, Education, Games, Lifestyle and Music. The winners are expected to receive Apple hardware besides additional goodies and a silver Apple Design Award trophy.
Here are the winning apps from this year's awards list:
- Financial Times iPad Edition [iTunes Link] from the Financial Times Ltd.
- Flight Control HD [iTunes Link] from Firemint
- Pinball HD [iTunes Link] from OOO GameProm
- Star Walk – Interactive Astronomy Guide [iTunes Link] from Vito Technology Inc.
- TabToolkit [iTunes Link] from Agile Partners
- 20 Minute Meals – Jamie Oliver [iTunes Link] from Zolmo
- Articles [iTunes Link] from Sophiestication
- Brushes [iTunes Link] from Steve Sprang
- Doodle Jump [iTunes Link] from Lima Sky, LLC.
- Real Racing [iTunes Link] from Firemint
The annual design awards has seen a major deviation this year with Apple choosing to only reward app developers for the iPhone OS, which is now the iOS platform. While the move has got a lot of Mac OS X developers disappointed, Steve Jobs had earlier noted in an email that this did not in anyway imply that Apple was de-emphasizing Mac OS X as a platform for developers.
Nevertheless, there is no doubt that the apps in this year's list are some of the most innovative apps available on the App Store at present. Do you like these apps? Which one of them is your favorite? Let us know in the comments.
[via Apple Developers Site]