We had reported yesterday that iPhone users who had unlocked their iPhone using a combination of PwnageTool or Redsn0w to update baseband to 06.15.00 and Ultrasn0w 1.2 for iOS 4.2.1 were observing poor battery life.
Developer @sbingner (author of popular jailbreak app – TetherMe) has figured out a way to fix the issue. He has released a jailbreak app called SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module). It tricks your iPhone and iTunes into creating legitimate activation tickets even though you’re unlocked with Ultrasn0w.
Thanks to SAM, you get the full benefit of push applications, and it also addresses the issue with poor battery life that was reported by some users after unlocking their iPhone. iPhone Dev team had this to say about SAM on their blog:
Developer @sbingner (author of TetherMe) has made some excellent progress devising a new hactivation method that kills two birds with one stone for all you ultrasn0w unlockers.
You can follow these instructions to install SAM on your jailbroken iPhone:
- Add http://repo.bingner.com as a repo in Cydia
- Install “SAM” and “SAMPrefs”
- Follow the steps in Troubleshooting/Hacktivated with redsn0w or PwnageTool
- Go to Settings > SAM and touch “De-Activate iPhone”
- Activate with iTunes
If iTunes says invalid SIM, you will need to manually select the appropriate carrier under one of the methods besides “Automatic” and click on a SIMID.
If you had hactivated your iPhone using PwnageTool or Redsn0w then you can follow these instructions to revert back to the stock lockdownd for SAM to work:
- Option #1: redsn0w for iPhone 3G or 3GS on firmware 4.0 or later
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or later from http://blog.iphone-dev.org
- Run redsn0w and select the “Deactivate” option
- Option #2: my custom stockify program – works on any phone 3.0+
- With SAM and SAMPrefs installed; install openssh and secure shell into your phone. Run “stockify” and it will revert your lockdownd to a stock lockdownd
- Reboot your phone
As always, let us know how it goes in the comments section below.
[via Binger]Like this post? Share it!