News Corp and Apple launched the news publication “The Daily”, which has been designed exclusively for Apple’s iPad at a media event in New York earlier today. We first heard rumors of the iPad-only daily news publication back in November.
After the media event, The Daily has also gone live in the US App Store.
Here is the description of the app via the App Store:
Introducing The Daily – the first digital news publication with original content created every day exclusively for the iPad. Built from scratch by a team of top journalists and designers, The Daily covers the world: breaking news, sports, pop culture, entertainment, apps, games, technology, opinion, celebrity gossip and more.
The Daily has the depth and quality of a magazine but is delivered daily like a newspaper and updated in real-time like the web.
The Daily includes the following features:
• Over 100 pages of original content every single day of the year
• Original HD videos
• 360-degree photos you can explore by swiping
• Immersive photography
• Interactive charts, info-graphics and clickable hot spots
• Saving articles to read later
• Sharing Web-friendly versions of articles via Twitter, Facebook and e-mail
• Your favorite sports teams’ scores, news and photos
• In-app commenting — including audio comments
• Your local weather
• New crossword and sudoku puzzles every day
You can checkout some of the screenshots of the app below:
The Daily (iTunes link) costs $0.99 a week or $39.99 a year (though the first two weeks is free) and will be automatically billed to users’ iTunes account.
You can also checkout the video of The Daily app below:
Are you planning to give it a try? Do you think a digital tablet-focused newspaper like The Daily is a good idea?