However, BigBoss’s solution had some limitations and number of users reported issues after using it. BigBoss has released a new version of SemiTether (v0.91), which incorporates the new mobile substrate by Jay Freeman a.k.a saurik that should make the semi tethered mode more stable.
v0.9.1 incorporates Saurik’s new mobile substrate. Thanks to Saurik, we are entirely rid of all the daemon patching – this means there’s no more daemon patching or restarting. Most the semi-tether work is now done by mobile substrate. The semitether package from the repository now protects your iOS 5 notification center plugins and gives you the option to patch mobile safari so that it will work on the non-jailbreak reboot mode. I’m still looking into patching mail, if possible.
Here’s the list of changes in the updated version:
1) Much more stable with new mobile substrate
2) Can patch safari so it works in the non-jailbreak reboot mode
3) App to monitor the status of your semitether and reapply. Check after cydia installs.
Semi tethered mode will allow users, especially iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone to at least use it for some of the basic functionalities of the iPhone and now even get to use mobile Safari, instead of the tethered mode where if you reboot the iPhone for any reason it is stuck at the Apple logo, until you don’t tether it to the computer and use Redsn0w’s Just Boot option. Here’s a summary of what you can and cannot do in semi tethered mode with the latest update:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
4) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
5) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
6) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
However a word of caution from BigBoss:
This new version will definitely solve all the flakiness problems we had in the past. However, be aware that this is a total rewrite of mobile substrate. Until this appears in a community source, you are beta testing so installing it is entirely at your own risk.
If you still want to give it a shot then checkout our post on How To Semi Untether Jailbreak iOS 5 Using SemiTether For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch.
Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments.
[via BigBoss]Like this post? Share it!