As expected, Apple has released a new version of its Apple Store app with support for self-checkout and personal pickup at the Retail stores.
According to the what’s new section, the latest version of Apple Store app includes the following features:
– Personal Pickup: Buy in the app and choose to pick up your order at any Apple Retail Store. Most in-stock orders are available for pickup within an hour. (U.S. only)
– EasyPay: Purchase select accessories in store quickly by scanning the barcode and completing your transaction right in the app. (U.S. only, requires iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S)
– Track your stuff: View the status of current and previous orders from the order status section in the More tab.
As we had explained last week, here’s how the new changes will work:
after you find the item you want to buy, like an accessory, you launch the Apple Store app on your iOS device and there will be an option to buy a product in the store. You scan the product with the camera on your device in the app, click purchase, and it will charge whatever credit card is associated to your Apple ID. You then just walk out of the store. Yes, we have been told that Apple will not be checking purchases which seems hard to believe, but this self check-out option will launch Thursday worldwide at all Apple retail stores.
- If a customer places an order for an in-stock product, then the product will be available for pickup in about 12 minutes. That’s apparently enough time for the Apple Store to receive the order and for retail store employees to set the product aside that was ordered.
- If a customer places an order for a product that a retail store does not have in stock, then the customer will receive a delivery date after the purchase is completed. Once the order arrives at the Apple Store and is available for pickup (the 12 minutes time frame as mentioned above will apply in this case as well), the customer will get a push notification through the Apple Store app, to inform him or her that the order is ready for pickup.
- Everything that is picked up from Apple Retail store comes with free shipping.
- Apple will offer customers the option to return items purchased online to retail stores.
- It will be only available in the U.S. for now.
- Apple hopes that most of the customers will pick-up their online orders from Apple retail stores.
EasyPay and Personal Pick-up are quite significant changes that should improve the experience while purchasing Apple products.
If you’re in the U.S. then you can experience it first hand by downloading the Apple Store app using this iTunes link or downloading the update from the App Store app on your iOS device in case you have already installed it.