If you liked the trick to create custom home screen shortcuts for the various settings toggles without the need to jailbreak your iOS device, but didn’t fancy paying $0.99 for apps like Icon Project to create them, then the good news is that UI designer Jeff Broderick has come to your rescue.
He has created a web-based ‘Settings’ panel, which uses these same URL schemes.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Visit Broderick’s website on your iOS device – http://brdrck.me/settings
- Tap on the settings toggle that you want
- Then tap on the Install Shortcut button.
- This will open up a settings page, which will prompt you to install a Profile. Tap on Install.
- Tap on Install Now button when prompted and then the Done button.
- You can alternatively skip steps 4 and 5 and instead tap on the share button and then tap on Add to Home Screen to add the custom toggles to your iOS device’s home screen.
That’s it, the home screen shortcut for the Settings toogle will be created on your iOS device’s home screen.
At this point of the time, the number of icons available on Broderick’s website are limited but he has got you covered for some of the most used Settings toggles such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Brightness, Airplane, Personal Hotspot, Notification, Location, VPN, EQ, iCloud and Network.
If you can’t find a particular Settings toggle then head over to our earlier post, which provides a step-by-step guide to create your own home screen shortcut using apps like Icon Project.
Folks at Backterimedia have also created the web-based home screen toggles for all the Settings toggles. Point your iOS device’s Safari browser to this link http://icon.bakterimedia.com/ and follow on-screen instructions. The icons are not as pretty as Broderick’s but at the end of the day it does the job and covers almost all the Settings toggles.
Kudos to Broderick and Backterimedia for creating this free alternative to add home screen shortcuts for Settings toggles.