In this guide, we will take you through the step by step procedure to perform an untethered jailbreak on iPhone running iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users. iPod touch users can checkout this guide and iPad users can checkout this guide.
- If you’ve performed a tethered jailbreak on your iPhone running iOS 5.0.1 then checkout this guide to convert it to an untethered iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak.
- Important note to iPhone unlockers: Please don’t use this guide directly if you want to preserve your iPhone’s baseband. Follow our step-by-step guide to preserve your iPhone’s baseband first.
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b5c does not support iPhone 4S currently, but pod2G is working hard on it. We’ll keep you posted.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPhone before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPhone.
- If you’ve jailbroken your iPhone then you can use jailbreak apps such as AptBackup, PkgBackup or xBackup from Cydia to take a backup of all the jailbreak apps and tweaks so you can reinstall them easily after successfully jailbreaking your iPhone rather then installing them individually. However, if you’re moving from iOS 4.x to iOS 5, it may be a good idea to reinstall the jailbreak apps to avoid compatibility issues.
- After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your iPhone secure.
- Please ensure you are running latest version of iTunes i.e. iTunes 10.5 or later.
Update: Please note that some readers are reporting issue with iBooks after jailbreaking their iPhone.
You can follow these step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS with the assumption that you’ve already updated your iPhone to iOS 5.0.1 (please note Settings –> General –> About –> Version should be 5.0.1):
Step 2: Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Redsn0w folder. Navigate back to the Redsn0w folder and launch the Redsn0w application.
Step 3: After launching Redsn0w, click on the Jailbreak button.
Windows 7 users should run the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP). Windows XP and Windows 7 users should run Redsn0w as ‘Administrator’ (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select ‘Run as an Administrator’).
Step 4: You will now be prompted plug your iPhone to the computer and switch it OFF. Follow the instructions and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
Step 5: You will now need to put your iPhone into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPhone down for 3 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the Home button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device:
Step 6: Your iPhone should reboot now. Please remember to release the Home button.
Step 7: Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
Step 8: You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Make sure Cydia is selected and select ‘Next‘ to continue.
Step 9: You iPhone will be rebooted again and Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel.
Step 10: You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the ‘Finish‘ button to exit the application.
Step 11: Your iPhone will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPhone should be successfully jailbroken. You should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPhone’s home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPhone, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPhone using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks are still not compatible with iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
If you’re getting error 16xx then it is most likely due to host file entries pointing to Saurik’s server. You can either remove the host file entries or try jailbreaking from another computer.
You have probably not put the iPhone in DFU mode properly. Try the step by step guide again.
White Cydia Icon:
If you notice the white Cydia icon (which fails to launch) after successfully jailbreaking then follow these steps to fix the issue.
- Launch Redsn0w again.
- Click on Extras and then click on Just Boot from the list of options.
- You will now be prompted to plug your iPhone to the computer and switch it off. Follow the instructions in the correct sequence and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
- You will now need to put your iPhone into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
- Hold the Power button on iPhone down for 3 seconds.
- Now simultaneously hold the iPhone and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device.
- Your device will reboot and you will see the Pwnage icon on your iPhone’s screen for few minutes.
- After your iPhone is successfully rebooted, you will see the regular Cydia icon (brown). You should now be able to launch Cydia without any issue.
It looks like some of the repositories are getting hammered due to the surge in traffic, so keep trying or try after sometime.
“No identifying data was found” Error:
If auto-detection fails and you get the “No identifying data was found” error message when you use Redsn0w then you need to manually select the iOS 5.0.1 firmware file before following the step by step instructions mentioned above. To select the firmware file manually follow these steps:
- Download the appropriate iOS 5.0.1 firmware file for your iOS device:
- iPhone 4 GSM – iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 4 CDMA – iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 3GS – iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- Click on Extras instead of Jailbreak
- Then click on the Select IPSW button
- Select the iOS 5.0.1 firmware file that you had just downloaded.
If you’re having issues launching jailbreak apps install the latest version of Corona iOS 5.0.1 Untether. More details available here.
iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.10b2 to fix the launchCtl issue. We’ve updated the download links with the latest version of Redsn0w.
iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 to fix the problem with MobileSubstrate based jailbreak apps. We’ve updated the download links with the latest version of Redsn0w.
Corrected the links for Redsn0w. Thanks everyone for pointing it out.
Update 5 (17/01/2012):
iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.10b4 to fix the iBooks issue. We’ve updated the download links with the latest version of Redsn0w.
Update 6 (29/01/2012):
iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.10b5 to fix the iBooks DRM issue. We’ve updated the download links with the latest version of Redsn0w.
Update 7 (15/02/2012):
iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.10b5c to fix some bugs. We’ve updated the download links with the latest version of Redsn0w.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues and don’t forget to give a donation to pod2G for all his hard work.Like this post? Share it!