Chronic Dev team has just released the most eagerly awaited greenpois0n Absinthe to jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPad 2 users. iPhone 4S users can checkout this step-by-step guide, which a number of readers have used to successfully jailbreak their iPhone 4S. iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users can checkout this guide, iPod touch users can checkout this guide and iPad 1 users can checkout this guide. We’ll publish a guide for iPad 2 users shortly.
- This guide is meant for Mac users. Windows users can checkout this step-by-step guide.
- Absinthe performs an untethered jailbreak.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPad may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPad before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPad.
Step 1: Download Absinthe from this link and save the application in a folder named “Absinthe” on your desktop.
Step 2: Double click the Absinthe zip file and extract the application to the Absinthe folder. Navigate back to the Absinthe folder and launch the Absinthe application.
Step 3: After launching Absinthe, click on the Jailbreak button.
After clicking on the Jailbreak button the tool will give a progress update on the various stages of the jailbreak process such as:
“Beginning jailbreak” (note this can really take sometime – in our case this step took more than 10 minutes on our iPad 2, though it was lot quicker on iPhone 4S)
“Sending initial data” at this time you will notice that “Restoring in Progress” message on your iPad 2 (this can also take a long time – in our case this step took more than 15 mins)
“Waiting for reboot”
“Waiting for device to finish rebooting” as your iPad 2 is rebooting.
“Preparing jailbreak data”
“Sending payload data” (this can also take a long time – in our case this step took more than 15 mins)
Step 4: In the end you’ll be prompted with the message informing you that the jailbreak is “Almost done – just unlock the screen if necessary, then tap “Jailbreak” icon to finish.
Step 5: Unlock your iPad. The icon you should look for is the Absinthe icon and not “Jailbreak”, it may not be on the first home screen page so you’re better off just searching for it using Spotlight.
Step 6: Launch the Absinthe app. It should load the greenpois0n site and reboot your iPad 2. After it is rebooted, you should see the Cydia icon.
That’s it, your iPad 2 is successfully jailbroken.
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you hit an issue while jailbreaking your iPad 2 with Absinthe:
1. A number of readers have reported that they’re getting “Error establishing a database connection” error message while loading the site or are seeing a white screen when they launch the Absinthe app. If you get that error message or white screen, the following trick seems to work:
- Launch the Settings app
- Then tap on General, followed by Network and then tap on VPN, here you will get “A configuration error occurred” message.
- However after a minute, your iPad 2 will reboot and you should be able to see Cydia icon your iPad 2’s home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPad, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPad using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks are still not compatible with iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
Added the time it can take for the some of the time consuming stages and also some more troubleshooting tips.
Chronic Dev team has updated Absinthe to address load issue, so we’ve updated the download link with the latest version.
Chronic Dev team has updated Absinthe for Mac to address the VPN and white icons issues, so we’ve updated the download link with the latest version.
Absinthe for Windows is now available. Check out this post for all the details.
Update 5 (1/2/2012):
We’ve updated the download links as jailbreak dream team released an updated version of Absinthe jailbreak (v0.4) for iPhone 4S and iPad 2, which includes some bug fixes and adds support for Mac OS X 10.5.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues and don’t forget to give a donation to the jailbreak dream team for all their hard work.