Report Claims Pegatron And Foxconn Have Started Assembling iPad 3s For Early March Launch

iPad with Retina Display mockup

Japanese blog – Macotakara reports that according to their Chinese sources, Pegatron and Foxconn – Apple’s manufacturing partners have started assembling the third generation iPad for an early-March launch.

Macotakara reports that Pegatron has got the bulk of the order and will be assembling almost 85% of the new iPads, while Foxconn will assemble the remaining 15%.

Accelerated schedule is made possible by earlier Chinese New Year festival, 23rd-28th January.

This first lot production implements LCD’s, which are produced by Sharp Electronics Corporation, and aims to be shipped at early March, source told.

Macotakara also claims that according to their sources, iPad 3 will look just like iPad 2 and most of the accessories except form-fitting cases will work just fine with the next generation iPad. Apple’s Smart Cover is also expect to work with the next generation iPad even though the magnets will be placed in different positions.

The details provided by Macotakara is in line with yesterday’s report by iLounge’s Jeremy Horwitz who managed to get his hands on some leaked iPad 3 parts at CES 2012. He provided the following details about the Apple’s third generation iPad based on the leaked parts:

  • The new iPad will be very similar to iPad 2.
  • The new iPad will be slightly thicker than iPad 2 (by 1mm)
  • The rear camera has become bigger and silver ringed. iPad 3 is expected to come with an improved camera – possibility even iPhone 4S’s 8-megapixel camera, but without LED flash.
  • iPad 3 looks exactly the same as iPad 2 from the front except for the screen. iPad 3 is expected to get a high resolution Retina Display like iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
  • According to one of his source, the screen could be slightly smaller than iPad 2 but Horwitz’s wasn’t able to confirm it.
  • Switch, button, speaker, and other elements located on the side edges are all the same, as are the headphone and Dock Connector ports.
  • He expects most iPad 2 accessories to work fine with iPad 3 except for the cases, which may have issues due to the minor changes in the design.

Macotakara has also posted the following video of the leaked iPad 3 parts:

[via Macotakara]

Like this post? Share it!

  • Souskei

    so whens a good time to sell my ipad 2 to fund an ipad 3? maybe late febuary?