Chronic Dev team has just released greenpois0n Absinthe to jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for Windows.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPhone 4S users. iPad 2 users can checkout this step-by-step guide. iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users can checkout this guide, iPod touch users can checkout this guide and iPad 1 users can checkout this guide.
- This guide is only for Windows users. Mac users can refer to this step-by-step guide.
- Absinthe performs an untethered jailbreak.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPhone before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPhone.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version (iTunes 10.5.3).
- Warning: There have been some complaints of users losing their camera roll, so please ensure you’ve backed up your iPhone before proceeding.
Step 1: Download Absinthe for Windows from this link and save the application in a folder named “Absinthe” on your desktop.
Step 2: Double click the Absinthe zip file and extract the application to the Absinthe folder. Navigate back to the Absinthe folder and launch the Absinthe application.
Please launch the application as an Administrator. Right Click on the Absinthe exe and select the “Run as Administrator” option.
Step 3: After launching Absinthe, you will be prompted to connect your iPhone 4S.
a. Please disable the passcode temporarily to jailbreak your iPhone 4S (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock -> Turn Passcode Off).
b. Please also remove any VPN settings that you may have configured on your iPhone.
Step 4: Absinthe should detect your iPhone and also mention the iOS firmware that is running on it. Click on the Jailbreak button.
After clicking on the Jailbreak button the tool will give a progress update on the various stages of the jailbreak process such as:
“Beginning jailbreak” (note this can really take sometime – in our case this step took more than 10 minutes on our iPad 2, though it was lot quicker on iPhone 4S)
“Sending initial data” at this time you will notice that “Restoring in Progress” message on your iPhone 4S (this can also take a long time – in our case this step took more than 15 mins)
“Waiting for reboot”
“Waiting for device to finish rebooting” as your iPhone 4S is rebooting.
“Preparing jailbreak data”
“Sending payload data” (this can also take a long time – in our case this step took more than 15 mins)
Step 5: In the end you’ll be prompted with the message informing you that the jailbreak is “Almost done – just unlock the screen if necessary, then tap “Jailbreak” icon to finish.
Step 6: Unlock your iPhone. The icon you should look for is the Absinthe icon and not “Jailbreak”, it may not be on the first home screen page so you’re better off just searching for it using Spotlight.
Step 7: Launch the Absinthe app. It should load the greenpois0n site and reboot your iPhone 4S. After it is rebooted, you should see the Cydia icon.
That’s it, your iPhone 4S is successfully jailbroken.
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you hit an issue while jailbreaking your iPhone 4S with Absinthe:
1. If you get “Error establishing a database connection” error message while loading the site or are seeing a white screen when they launch the Absinthe app then use the following trick:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Then tap on General, followed by Network and then tap on VPN, here you will get “A configuration error occurred” message.
- However after a minute, your iPhone 4S will reboot and you should be able to see Cydia icon your iPhone 4S home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPhone, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPhone using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks are still not compatible with iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
We’ve updated the download links as jailbreak dream team released an updated version of Absinthe jailbreak (v0.4) for iPhone 4S and iPad 2, which includes some bug fixes and adds support for Mac OS X 10.5.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues and don’t forget to give a donation to the jailbreak dream team for all their hard work.