Apple released iOS 5.1 yesterday, which includes some minor improves and bug fixes.
But if you accidentally upgraded to iOS 5.1 (don’t update to iOS 5.1 if you are on iOS 5.0.1 or lower) and want to jailbreak your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS then you’ve come to the right place. We will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak your iPhone on iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users. iPod touch 4G and iPod touch 3G users can checkout this guide, while iPad users can checkout this guide.
- Important note to iPhone unlockers: Please don’t use this guide if you want to preserve your iPhone’s baseband.
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b6b for Mac and Redsn0w 0.9.10b6b for Windows only supports a tethered jailbreak, which means that you need to connect your iPhone to the computer on every reboot (except iPhone 3GS with older bootrom).
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPhone before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPhone.
- If you’ve jailbroken your iPhone then you can use jailbreak apps such as PkgBackup from Cydia to take a backup of all the jailbreak apps and tweaks so you can reinstall them easily after successfully jailbreaking your iPhone rather then installing them individually. However, if you’re moving from iOS 4.x to iOS 5, it may be a good idea to reinstall the jailbreak apps to avoid compatibility issues.
- After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your iPhone secure.
- Please ensure you are running latest version of iTunes i.e. iTunes 10.5 or later.
- Known issue: iBooks won’t work if you jailbreak your iPod touch using Redsn0w 0.9.10.b6. Dev team is working hard to fix the issue.
You can follow these step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS with the assumption that you’ve already updated your iPhone to iOS 5.1 (please note Settings –> General –> About –> Version should be 5.1):
Step 2: Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Redsn0w folder. Navigate back to the Redsn0w folder and launch the Redsn0w application.
Step 3: After launching Redsn0w, click on the Jailbreak button.
Windows 7 users should run the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP). Windows XP and Windows 7 users should run Redsn0w as ‘Administrator’ (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select ‘Run as an Administrator’).
Step 4: You will now be prompted plug your iPhone to the computer and switch it OFF. Follow the instructions and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
Step 5: You will now need to put your iPhone into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPhone down for 3 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the Home button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device:
Step 6: Your iPhone should reboot now. Please remember to release the Home button.
Step 7: Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
Step 8: You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Make sure Cydia is selected and select ‘Next‘ to continue.
Step 9: You iPhone will be rebooted again and Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel.
Step 10: You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the ‘Finish‘ button to exit the application.
Step 11: Your iPhone will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPhone should be successfully jailbroken. You should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPod touch’s home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPhone, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPhone using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks may not be compatible with iOS 5.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
Once Redsn0w has finished jailbreaking your iPhone, you will need to boot it tethered, which means that if you need to reboot your iPhone it will be stuck on the Apple logo. All you need to do is rerun Redsn0w and this time click on Extras and then click on Just boot from the list of options and follow the on screen instructions to reboot your iPhone.
How to fix the White/Blank Cydia icon issue:
If you notice the white Cydia icon (which fails to launch) after successfully jailbreaking your iPod touch. Then follow these steps to fix the issue.
- Launch Redsn0w again.
- Click on Extras and then click on Just Boot from the list of options.
- You will now be prompted to plug your iPhone to the computer and switch it off. Follow the instructions in the correct sequence and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
- You will now need to put your iPhone into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
- Hold the Power button on iPhone down for 3 seconds.
- Now simultaneously hold the iPhone and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device.
- Your device will reboot and you will see the Pwnage icon on your iPod touch’s screen for few minutes.
- After your iPhone is successfully rebooted, you will see the regular Cydia icon (brown). You should now be able to launch Cydia without any issue.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes and feel free to drop us a line if you hit any issues.
Update (April 15th, 2012):
Dev team has updated Redsn0w to 0.9.10b6b to fix an issue affecting those users running OS X 10.5.x or earlier. So we have updated the download link.Like this post? Share it!