Apple released iOS 5.1.1 last week, which includes some minor improvements and bug fixes.
If you accidentally upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 and want to jailbreak your iPad then you can follow this guide to jailbreak your iPad. We will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak iPad on iOS 5.1.1 using Redsn0w.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPad 1 users.
- Redsn0w 0.9.11b4 only supports a tethered jailbreak, which means that you need to connect your iOS device to the computer on every reboot. pod2g is currently working on the untethered jailbreak and is expected to release a user friendly jailbreak tool shortly. Check out this page for the latest update.
- Redsn0w 0.9.11b4 does not support iPad 2 or iPad 3 (the new iPad).
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPad may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPad before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPad.
If you’ve jailbroken your iPad then you can use jailbreak apps such as PkgBackup from Cydia to take a backup of all the jailbreak apps and tweaks so you can reinstall them easily after successfully jailbreaking your iPad rather then installing them individually.
- After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your iPad secure.
- Please ensure you are running latest version of iTunes.
You can follow these step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iPad 1 with the assumption that you’ve already updated your iPad to iOS 5.1.1 (please note Settings –> General –> About –> Version should be 5.1.1):
Step 2: Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Redsn0w folder and then launch the Redsn0w application.
Step 3: After launching Redsn0w, click on the Jailbreak button.
Windows 7 users should run the exe in Windows XP compatibility mode (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP). Windows XP and Windows 7 users should run Redsn0w as ‘Administrator’ (right-click on the Redsn0w exe and select ‘Run as an Administrator’).
Step 4: You will now be prompted to switch OFF your iPad and plug it to the computer. Follow the instructions and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
Step 5: You will now need to put your iPad into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPad down for 3 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the iPad and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device:
Step 6: Your iPad should reboot now. Please remember to release the Home button.
Step 7: Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
Step 8: You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Make sure Cydia is selected and select ‘Next‘ to continue.
Step 9: You iPad will be rebooted again and Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel.
Step 10: You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the ‘Finish‘ button to exit the application.
Step 11: Your iPad will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5 minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPad running iOS 5.1.1 should be successfully jailbroken. You should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPad’s home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPad, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPad using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks may not be compatible with iOS 5.1.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
Once Redsn0w has finished jailbreaking your iPad, you will need to boot it tethered, which means that if you need to reboot your iPad it will be stuck on the Apple logo. All you need to do is rerun Redsn0w and this time click on Extras and then click on Just boot from the list of options and follow the on screen instructions to reboot your iPad.
How to fix the White/Blank Cydia icon issue:
If you notice the white Cydia icon (which fails to launch) after successfully jailbreaking your iPad. Then follow these steps to fix the issue.
- Launch Redsn0w again.
- Click on Extras and then click on Just Boot from the list of options.
- You will now be prompted to plug your iPad to the computer and switch it off. Follow the instructions in the correct sequence and click on ‘Next‘ to move to the next screen:
- You will now need to put your iPad into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will take you through the necessary steps:
- Hold the Power button on iPad down for 3 seconds.
- Now simultaneously hold the iPad and keep the two buttons pressed for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed until Redsn0w detects the device.
- Your device will reboot and you will see the Pwnage icon on your iPad’s screen for few minutes.
- After your iPad is successfully rebooted, you will see the regular Cydia icon (brown). You should now be able to launch Cydia without any issue.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues.Like this post? Share it!