pod2g and Chronic Dev team has just released Absinthe 2.0 – iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak.
In this guide, we will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak iPod touch running iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe for both Mac and Windows users.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for iPod touch users. iPhone users can check out this step-by-step guide, while iPad users can check out this guide.
- Absinthe 2.0 performs an untethered jailbreak
- Absinthe 2.0 supports iPod touch 4G and iPod touch 3G
- Please do not forget to backup your iPod touch to iCloud or iTunes before you proceed.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version
- Absinthe 2.0 is compatible with only iOS 5.1.1, so if you’re on iOS 5.1 or lower (Settings -> General -> About – Version), then you should update your iPod touch to iOS 5.1.1 either using iTunes or using the OTA software update before proceeding further.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPod touch may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk
Step 1: Download the latest version of Absinthe from this link and save it in a folder named “Absinthe” on your desktop.
Step 2: Double click the Absinthe zip file and extract the application to the Absinthe folder (Windows users). Navigate back to the Absinthe folder and launch the Absinthe application.
Windows users: Please launch the application as an Administrator. Right Click on the Absinthe exe and select the “Run as Administrator” option.
Step 3: After launching Absinthe, you will be prompted to connect your iPod touch
Step 4: Please disable the passcode as the jailbreak may fail, if the passcode is enabled (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock On -> Turn Passcode Off).
Step 5: Absinthe should detect your iPod touch and also mention the iOS firmware that is running on it. Click on the Jailbreak button.
After clicking on the Jailbreak button the tool will give a progress update on the various stages of the jailbreak process such as:
“Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while …”
“Sending initial jailbreak data. This may also take a while…”
“Sending initial jailbreak data.Your device will appear to be restoring a backup, this may take a while…”
“Waiting for reboot … not done yet, don’t unplug your device yet!”
“Waiting for process to complete… ”
Step 6: In the end you’ll be prompted with the message informing you “Done Enjoy”. You can close Absinthe application. The entire process will take 5 to 10 minutes.
That’s it, your iPod touch should be successfully jailbroken and you should see the Cydia icon on the Home screen (it may not be on the first page so search for it to locate it).
If you’re having problems jailbreaking your iPhone then following these steps, which will involve erasing all content and Settings.
- Make a backup of your iPhone in iTunes by right clicking on your iPhone’s name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
- Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings –> General –> Reset –> Erase all Content and Settings.
- Follow the instructions mentioned above from step 1 to step 6.
- Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before to restore the Settings, apps, photos etc.
- If the solution in Update 1 doesn’t work then take a backup of your iPod touch in iTunes and try to do a full restore and then use Absinthe.
- Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before to restore your Settings, apps, photos etc.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPod touch, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPod touch using the Cydia app. Please don’t pirate apps from the App Store.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues.
If you want to show your appreciation for iOS 5.1.1 Jailbreak team’s hard work, then don’t forget to give them a donation via PayPal using this link or use the Support us link on the Absinthe 2.0 application.