While Apple has added several hundred features with each iOS release since the launch of the iPhone, it has hardly made any improvements to the Phone app.
Here are some of the features and improvements coming to the Phone app in iOS 6:
Reply and Remind Options:
- Currently when you get a call, you can either answer the call or decline it (or ignore it). In iOS 6, you get two new options. You can now swipe up on the Phone shortcut (similar to the Camera shortcut) when you get an incoming call, that allows you to either “Reply with Message” or “Remind me Later”.
- If you select “Reply with Message”, you can use one of the preset messages such as “I’ll call you later.”, “I’m on my way.”, “What’s up?” or respond with a custom message to inform the caller than you can’t talk right now.
- If you select “Remind me Later”, you can be reminded in an hour, when you get home, when you get to work or when you leave (which sets a geofence around your current locations so that when you leave the meeting or building, you will be reminded to call the person).
Do not Disturb:
- This is a new settings toggle in the Settings app (just above Notifications). This feature allows you to suppress all incoming calls (diverted to voicemail) and notifications.
- You can also customize how the “Do not Disturb” feature works via the Settings app (Settings -> Notifications -> Do Not Disturb.) You can also schedule the time when you do not want to be disturbed.
- You can override the “Do Not Disturb” feature using the “Allow Calls From” option to receive calls from people in your Favorites or from people in a group that you’ve created in your Contact list.
- You can also enable “Repeated Calls”, which ensures that a second call from the same person within three minutes will not be silenced. This can be useful if someone is trying to desperately reach you in case of an emergency.
Though we would have also liked the ability to blacklist numbers, we really like these new enhancements to the Phone app. We’re quite sure many users are going to use these features.
What do you think of these new enhancements? Let us know in the comments.Like this post? Share it!