While the original iPad, and the iPod touch 3rd gen won’t be getting the iOS 6 software update, the older iOS devices that are compatible with iOS 6 won’t get all the features.
Apple typically does this to ensure that the OS is speedy enough on older hardware. (No MMS on original iPhone, no wallpaper on iPhone 3G, no Siri on iPhone 4)
How does older hardware fare this time?
Let’s take a look.
The fact that a three year old device was eligible for a 4th major OS upgrade was a major surprise in itself, although some of the surprise was taken away thanks to a leak one day before WWDC. What features would the iPhone 3GS lack when it’s on iOS 6?
- No shared Photo Streams.
- No VIP and Flagged lists enhancements to Mail
- No offline Reading List
- No 3D maps and turn by turn directions
- No Siri. (Not that we expected.)
- No 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation.
- Update: No Facetime over cellular network
- No Siri
- Update: No Facetime over cellular network (for iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G model)