Microsoft has released a new version of the My Xbox Live app to add support for the impressive SmartGlass feature, which was showcased at E3 2012. Along with the new features, the app also gets a new name, it’s now called Xbox SmartGlass.
Xbox SmartGlass allows users to connect their iOS device to the Xbox 360 console and use it as a second screen to enjoy rich, interactive experiences, do fun things like change their 3D avatar and also use it as a remote control using gestures like Apple’s Remote app.
Xbox SmartGlass includes the following features:
- Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
- Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
- Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
- Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
- Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
- Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
- Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
- Change up your 3D avatar
- Message your Xbox friends
- Edit your Xbox profile
If you have an Xbox 360 then download the app using this App Store link and let us know what you think of the SmartGlass feature.
Unfortunately, iPhone 5 users will be disappointed as the app still doesn’t support the new iPhone’s taller display. We hope Microsoft address that soon.
It also doesn’t include the AirPlay like feature that allow users to stream video content from iOS devices to the Xbox Console that has been showcased in the YouTube video below, which is available on Windows Phone 8 devices.
Hat tip The Verge!