iOS hacker and developer – Ryan Petrich has discovered a hidden Topography feature in Google Maps for iPhone.
The Topography mode lets you see relief maps of 3D terrain, which is very useful if you’re going hiking, mountain biking, skiing etc. in rough terrain areas.
It’s not clear why Google decided to drop the feature in the final release. Petrich has released a new jailbreak tweak that makes it very easy to enable the hidden Topography mode in the sidebar of Google Maps for iPhone app for free on Cydia.
You can follow these simple steps to enable the Topography feature on your jailbroken iPhone:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on Sources
- Then tap on the Edit button
- Then the Add button and enter the following URL – http://rpetri.ch/repo/
- Then tap on the Add Source button
- After Ryan’s repository is successfully added, tap on search tab and look for “Topography”
- Select “Topography for Google Maps” from the search results
- Tap on the Install button
- Then tap on the Confirm button
- After “Topography for Google Maps” is successfully installed, tap on the Restart Springboard button.
That’s it, now when you tap on the pull-tab in the lower right corner, you should see Topography mode in addition to Traffic, Public Transit, Satellite and Google Earth mode.
Check out the video walkthrough of the feature and let us know what you think in the comments:
Via: Ryan Petrich