Shazam was one of those great first apps for the iPhone. Let it “listen” to a song playing and it would tell you what it is (and then you could buy it). I haven’t used the app in a while, but the updates in version 5.5.0 might just bring me back.
I stopped using Shazam on my iPad because it wasn’t very convenient, and I never loaded it on my iPhone until today. I could live without it, but a new feature in the app peaked my interest and they don’t even mention it in the updates.
So first, Shazam lists these as the big updates:
What’s New in Version 5.5.0
- All new Tagging screen that responds to the sounds around you
- Tagging without coverage? Shazam now matches automatically when you next have a connection
- Search My Tags – scroll up to the top of the My Tags to search for artists, titles, tag dates and tag locations
- Share tags on Google+
- For VoiceOver users, Shazam now has a “magic tap”: start tagging immediately with a two-finger double-tap from anywhere in the app
Fixes & Improvements:
- Pull to Refresh restored to Shazam Friends
- Sharing Tags on Facebook now uses the iOS native sharing screen
Which is really great, but I was listening to the radio a couple days ago and a commercial came on from The Bay (The Hudson’s Bay Company) that if I had Shazam and let it listen to the commercials, the app would direct me to the items mentioned in the add on The Bay website.
Now that’s nifty. Shazam is touting this for TV shows, but really I think the mobile shopping play is far, far more interesting and important. No tapping URLs or snapping QR codes or something on screen, just hold up your phone and get to the product advertised and buy it? Umm, yeah, that works for me.