KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new research report where he has made his predictions on what Apple will launch in 2013.
Unlike recent reports, which have indicated that Apple will launch the next generation iPad and iPad mini in March, followed by the early launch of the next generation iPhone in June, Kuo predicts that Apple will launch most of the new products in the third quarter of this year.
Here’s a product wise breakdown of his predictions for 2013:
- Kuo expects Apple to launch the next generation iPhone, which he calls iPhone 5S around July this year. According to him, iPhone 5S will look like the iPhone 5 but will come with features such as faster 28-nm A7 system-on-chip, a fingerprint sensor, smart flash LED flash and improved camera with f2.0 aperture. It will be available in 2 colors.
- Kuo also forecasts that Apple to launch a low-cost revamped iPhone 5 priced at $350 to $450, which will be slightly thicker than the current iPhone 5 (8.2 mm vs. the current 7.6 mm) and come with a plastic casing. It will be available in 6 colors.
- Kuo expects Apple to launch the next generation iPad and iPad mini in the third quarter of the year.
- He expects the next generation iPad mini to come with Retina Display.
- He predicts that the next generation iPad will be slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.
- He predicts that Apple will discontinue the 4th generation iPod touch and instead launch a scaled-down version of the 5th generation iPod touch with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera for $199.
- He expects Apple to launch the next generation Apple TV with a minor improvements as soon as March.
- He also doesn’t expect Apple to launch its own branded Television in 2013. He notes that content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry will push the launch to 2014.
- He expects Apple to discontinue the non-Retina MacBook Pro line this year and drop the prices of the Retina MacBook Pros.
- He also expects Apple to tweak the design of the thinner Retina MacBook Pros.
- He doesn’t expect Apple to launch Retina MacBook Airs in 2013 as it is still a challenge to make them. He forecasts this year’s MacBook Air to be powered by Intel’s Haswell processors, which could be launched as early as June 2013.
- Kuo doesn’t expect iMac’s to come with Retina Display this year.
- He expects 2013 iMac and Mac mini powered by Intel’s Haswell processors to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2013.
Ming-Chi Kuo has a good track record when it comes to predicting Apple’s product plans. It remains to be seen, which of his predictions for 2013 will be accurate.