The last beta of iOS 6.1 came out in mid December and according to reports, the next version of the beta could arrive shortly, possibly today, and might be the golden master version before launch of iOS 6.1.
According to AppleInsider, the final beta of iOS 6.1 could be coming out any time now. We’ve seen 4 betas of iOS 6.1 thus far (the last being Dec 17th), but thus far nothing really new or exciting in any of the betas thus far. And if we’re seeing the GM shortly, then it’s doubtful we’d see anything new in that either.
As we’ve noted before here are the features we know about in iOS 6.1:
- Reseting advertising identifier
- Voice dial only (picking the language for voice dialing)
- Better Passbook intro
- iCloud settings to help FaceTime and Messages hook up the first time
- Toggling to use cellular data for iTunes
- Ability to book movie tickets using Siri (U.S. only)
- Better Maps error reporting
- Slightly tweaked music controls on the lock screen
- Improved Map kit for searching in Maps for developers
As a complication to jailbreakers, iOS 6.1 is going to be tougher to jailbreak than iOS 6 has been (which is jailbroken, but not publicly released), so it remains to be seen if things like Apple hiring Kristin Paget means that jailbreaks are going to be not just harder and harder to create, but nearly impossible in the future.
We’ll let you know when word of the latest iOS 6.1 beta hits.