Apple has seeded the iOS 6.1 beta 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and iPod touch to developers of iOS Developer program.
Apple had seeded the last beta version of iOS 6.1 on December 17th and was expected to expire on January 28th, so the weekend release doesn’t come as a big surprise.
iOS 6.1 Beta 5 is available for the following iOS devices:
- iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
- iPad 4, iPad 3 (the new iPad), iPad 2, iPad mini
- iPod Touch 5G, iPod touch 4G
Developers can download iOS 6.1 Beta 5 from the iOS Dev Center.
Here’s what we know is coming in iOS 6.1 based on the previous four beta versions:
- Reseting advertising identifier
- Voice dial only (picking the language for voice dialing)
- Better Passbook intro
- iCloud settings to help FaceTime and Messages hook up the first time
- Toggling to use cellular data for iTunes
- Ability to book movie tickets using Siri
- Better Maps error reporting
- Slightly tweaked music controls on the lock screen
- Improved Map kit for searching in Maps for developers
According to security experts, Apple has made jailbreaking more difficult in iOS 6.1 by adding tougher protection. As a golden rule, jailbreakers should avoid upgrading to iOS 6.1 beta 5.
MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev team and iH8sn0w, developer of Sn0wbreeze has pointed out that iOS 6.1 beta 5 isn’t like other beta versions as it has no ReleaseType lock keys, so there is no expiration.
Despite the odd beta naming, as @winocm discovered, this is actually releaseable as public 6.1 at Apple's will. Good! Home stretch….
— Ⓜ MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) January 27, 2013
This should mean there is no expiration… —> “@winocm: Looks like iOS 6.1b5 isn't a beta, it .. has no ReleaseType lockdown keys.”
— iH8sn0w (@iH8sn0w) January 27, 2013
This means that Apple could release iOS 6.1 without releasing an iOS 6.1 GM. Lets hope Apple hasn’t fixed any of the loop holes that would make it even more difficult to jailbreak iOS 6.1 as the hackers seemed to suggest they have a jailbreak for it.
Thanks everyone for the tip!Like this post? Share it!