Here’s some good news for fans of Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) system.
Robert Broglia, developer of Snes9x EX, an advanced SNES/Super Famicom emulator for iOS, has released a new version of the SNES emulator for iOS called Snes9x EX+ based on Snes9x 1.53, which offers improved performance and near complete game compatibility.
It uses the emulation backend from Snes9x and is built on top of the Imagine engine, thus allowing you to play most games designed for the SNES and Super Famicom Nintendo game systems on your jailbroken iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
The improved performance comes at a cost, it requires ARMv7 iOS 5.0+ device as it uses more CPU. If you’ve an iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch 3G or later and an iPad then you should not have any problems running it.
Just like the previous version of the emulator, Snes9x EX+ offers the following features:
- Accurate emulation and high compatibility rate, utilizes Snes9x 1.43 or 1.53
- Backup memory and save state support, auto-save and ten manual slots for save states
- Supports games in .smc, .sfc, .fig, and .1 formats, optionally in .zip files
- Super Scope support, touch screen to fire, touch off-screen to push Cursor button
- Mouse support
- Configurable on-screen multi-touch controls & keyboard support
- Multiplayer-capable Wiimote + Classic Controller and iControlPad support (iOS & Android)
- Portrait/Landscape orientation support (auto-orientation on iOS & Android)
Check out the video demo of emulator in action using iControlPad and Wii remotes.
It goes without saying, the iOS emulator does not come with any games. If you own the games, then you need to copy the ROM images in any directory under /var/mobile/Documents or /var/mobile/Media to play them on your iOS device.
Snes9x EX+ is available for free on the BigBoss repo.
Let us know how it goes in the comments below.Like this post? Share it!