If you’ve ever wanted to make sure that your TV and home theater are tuned for the absolutely best picture and sound possible, a new free (for a week only) app from THX might just do the trick.
Yes, THX, like the movies, etc.
The universal app has you connect your iPhone or iPad to your TV via HDMI to tune the picture and sound. If you just want to tune the picture you can use your Apple TV and AirPlay mirroring as well. I don’t know if this will make me rush out and buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter (at $50), but if I have friend with one I can borrow you can bet I’m going to try the audio and video tuning. For right now, I’ll be happy with the video tuning via AirPlay.
Like I said above, THX is offering this app for free for a week, then it will be $2. Sure, not much to pay for an app that might help you enjoy movies and TV better, but free is still good.
Here is what the app is supposed to help you with:
- Aspect ratio – ensure your TV displays shapes and sizes correctly
- Brightness – make certain shadow details and night scenes are clearly visible
- Contrast – confirm white detail is distinct on your television
- Color – make sure colors are bright and vibrant but not cartoonish
- Tint – check skin tones look natural and are not too green or red
THX tune-up uses your iPad or iPhone camera to set color and tint with a special built in color filter. Just point your device camera at the TV screen and see if your color or tint is adjusted correctly.
- Speaker assignment – ensure speakers are connected to the correct AVR output and intended sound is coming from the correct speaker
- Speaker phase – confirm that positive and negative speaker wires are connected correctly and all speakers are in phase
- Turn “moo can” on and tilt the iPhone or iPad to hear your device “moo”
- Play extraordinary THX trailers (just like the ones in THX Certified cinemas) to show off your newly tuned TV and sound system to friends and family
- Show off your audio system with the push of a button by playing “THX Deep Note” in 5.1 surround sound, just like in the theater
- Have a question for THX, or just want to provide feedback? Ask Tex!
Yes, “moo can”. It does exactly what it says it does.
I’m going to do the video tune ups tonight and I’ll update this post with how it goes. Let us know in the comments what you think about the app and the results if you do the same.