In this tutorial, I’ll give you step-by-step instructions on how to jailbreak your Apple TV 2 using Seas0nPass.
Here are some important points that you should read before you proceed:
- This guide is meant only for Apple TV 2 users. iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users can check out this page on how to jailbreak their iOS device with evasi0n.
- Seas0nPass currently supports an untethered jailbreak for Apple TV 2 on Apple TV Software Update 5.2.
- Seas0nPass CANNOT jailbreak Apple TV 3 currently, we’ll let you know as soon as we’ve any further updates on that front so stay tuned.
- This process involves restoring your Apple TV 2 with custom Apple TV firmware, so you will need to reconfigure and redownload the content on your Apple TV after you have successfully jailbroken it.
- Please note that jailbreaking your Apple TV may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version.
- Please ensure you’ve disconnected any iPhones, iPads and iPod touch from your computer.
- At the time of writing this tutorial, aTV Flash (black) is the only notable plugin that supports Apple TV 5.2. Third-party plugins such as Plex, Remote HD, Rowmote, and XBMC are not compatible with the Apple TV 5.1 or later.
- You need a micro-USB cable to connect Apple TV to your computer.
- You also need your Apple TV remote handy.
Step 2: Double click the zip file, extract the application and launch Seasn0nPass.
Step 3: Click on the Create IPSW button
Step 4: This will download the latest Apple TV Software Update to create the custom jailbroken IPSW firmware file.
Step 5: After downloading the file, it will automatically start creating the custom jailbroken IPSW firmware file. You will see the following messages:
- Validating IPSW
- Unzipping IPSW
- Patching ramdisk…
- Patching filesystem…
- Mounting image…
- Patching filesystem…
- Installing software…
- Unmounting image…
- Converting image to read only compressed
- scanning image for restore
- creating IPSW…
- Custom IPSW firmware file successfully created!
Step 6: After the custom jailbroken IPSW firmware file is created, it will prompt you to connect Apple TV to the computer. Connect your Apple TV to the computer using the micro USB cable (leave power cable disconnected).
Step 7: Wait for the light on the front of the device of Apple TV to flash rapidly. Now point the Apple TV remote and press the MENU and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 7 seconds.
Step 8: You will be informed that the device is in DFU mode and iTunes will launch automatically and perform the restore process. Please note that unlike the regular restore process, you don’t need to do anything, the restore process will be performed automatically (including the step where the custom IPSW firmware file needs to be selected). So please wait patiently for your Apple TV to be restored with the custom jailbroken IPSW firmware file.
Step 9: iTunes will confirm that your Apple TV has been successfully restored. That’s it, your Apple TV has now been successfully jailbroken.
You can now connect it to your TV. You will notice that the Settings icon has been replaced by the FireCore logo, which confirms that you’ve successfully jailbroken your Apple TV.
You should now be able to install aTV Flash (black), which has also been updated to support Apple TV 5.2 and includes support for the wireless keyboard.
Let us know how it goes in the comments below.Like this post? Share it!