Planetbeing, a key member of the evad3rs dev team that brought us the evasi0n jailbreak has released a new version of his jailbreak app called Signal 2 that provides detailed cell tower information. It works with both GSM and CDMA devices.
When you launch Signal 2, it gives the location of the cell tower your iPhone is connected to, along with other visible and previously seen cell towers.
When you tap on the little info button at the bottom right corner, it provides detailed information from the baseband about the current cell tower you’re connected to and the neighbouring cell towers.
- Band Info – This will display the LTE band your iPhone is connected to. For example: iPhone 5 GSM model A1428 supports LTE Bands 4 and 17, iPhone 5 GSM model A1429 supports LTE Bands 1, 3, 5 and CDMA model A1429 supports LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25.
- Cell ID
- Ec/No – It is used as an indication of signal quality.
- Mobile Country Code
- Mobile Network Code
- Physical Cell ID
- Radio Access Technology – LTE/UMTS
- RSCP (Received Signal Code Power) – It is used as an indication of signal strength.
- RSSI (Received signal strength indication) – According to Wikipedia, it is an indication of the power level being received by the antenna, so higher the RSSI number (or less negative in some devices), the stronger the signal.
- Tracking Area Code
- Type – Serving/Neighbor
- UARFCN (UTRA Absolute Radio Frequency Channel Number, where UTRA stands for UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access) – According to Wikipedia, it is used to identify a frequency in the UMTS frequency bands.
The cell towers are displayed in the following colors:
- Red – Connected tower
- Blue – Visible tower
- Gray – Unlocateable tower
- Yellow – Previously seen tower
While some of you may not find it very useful, I found it very interesting to see the cell towers my iPhone 5 was connected to and how it was switching between towers. It’s also useful to find out where you get the best signal at your home or in your office as signal bars don’t give the most accurate picture.
Signal 2 is available for $3.99 on Cydia. Click on the download link below if you’re on a jailbroken iPhone to purchase and install the jailbreak tweak from Cydia.