Twitter has just released a major update for its iOS app, which includes enhancements to search and other improvements.
Twitter has announced two new features on the company blog:
- Tweets and web browsing: When you open a link from a Tweet in your timeline, you’ll see that Tweet displayed at the bottom of the app’s built-in web browser. This provides additional context to the page you’re viewing, and makes it easy for you to retweet, favorite or reply to the Tweet as you’re reading an article or watching a video. If you don’t want to see the Tweet, simply tap the page and the Tweet will slide away from view. By pulling up or down on the tray icon, the Tweet will appear or disappear from view.
- Autocomplete: We’ve improved autocomplete suggestions so that when you search on Twitter or you’re composing a Tweet, you’ll see more hashtag, topic and username suggestions as you type. Additionally, autocomplete suggestions for topic searches will be updated more frequently and feel real-time.
Here’s the complete list of changes and improvements according to the what’s new section:
- As you search you’ll see more topic and user suggestions for your query, based on what’s happening in real time. You’ll also see these suggestions when adding a hashtag or username as you compose a new Tweet.
- Top Tweets from big moments in the past pop out when you search for a given term. For example, searching for “election” might highlight Tweets from several months ago.
- When you open a web page you can now see the related Tweet for more context. Just pull the tray icon up or down to see or hide the Tweet.
- It’s easier to see long conversations in the Tweet details view, which now shows all of the replies to any Tweet
- When you block a user in the app, their Tweets will instantly disappear from the Connect tab in the app
- Pull-to-refresh in Discover shows a new, smoother animation
- Support for traditional Chinese
- Logout support (iOS 6 only)
- Uploading videos vie Mobypicture, Vodpod and Posterous is no longer supported
- Additional bug fixes and improvements
You can install the update via Updates tab or by clicking on the download link below.
Are you still using the official Twitter app or you have moved on to other third-party Twitter clients like Tweetbot, Twitterific etc.