Google gave a sneak preview of the next major version of Google Maps on iOS and Android at the Google I/O conference in San Francisco earlier today.
Here are some of the new features and improvement that were announced at the event:
- The next version of Google Maps will come integrated with Zagat, showing a badge next to places that have expert curated user reviews from Zagat. This will be in addition to reviews from your friends and other Google users.
- The local search experience will feature a new 5-star rating system, which Google says will offer quick readability to help you make informed decisions.
- It will also come integrated with Google offers experience, which will make it easier to find offers from Google’s daily deal service. Users will be able to save the offer to use them later. Places that have an offer will be displayed with an offers badge.
- Google also announced a number of key features to make the navigation experience even better on the mobile.
- It will come with a revamped incident experience which will display live coverage of incidents from all around the world. So in traffic view, you will be able to see incident alerts that you can tap on to see the details.
- Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation will be enhanced with dynamic rerouting. So if Google identifies an incident in your route, it will give you an early warning informing you that there is a faster route available.
- You can find places to eat, drink, shop, places to play and be entertained, and what have you, if you’re in an unfamiliar place via a new Explore tab.
- Quick and easy access to the street-view.
- Google also announced an all-new Google Maps experience for tablets like the iPad, which brings most of the features from the smartphone to tablets.
Google has announced that the new version of Google Maps for iPhone and iPad will be released later this summer.
Daniel Graf, Google’s Director of Google Maps who gave the presentation also took the opportunity to poke fun at Apple’s Maps app. He had this to say:
“Most of you probably heard that last December we launched Google Maps on the iPhone. It has been a tremendous success. The feedback has been very positive. People called it sleek, simple, beautiful… and let’s not forget accurate.”
Watch the Google Maps for mobile segment from the Google I/O keynote below:
Google also announced an all-new Google Maps experience on the desktop, which is quite cool. You can check out the video below, which gives you a tour of the next generation of Google Maps on the desktop:
Let us know what you think of the new version of Google Maps for mobile in the comments below.