Faulty charger to blame for recent iPhone death

Earlier this week, there was a story floating around the internets saying a woman was killed by her iPhone 5 after being electrocuted. Later it was discovered she actually owned an iPhone 4. Let’s ignore the fact that most media outlets can’t think for themselves and realize that an iPhone battery can’t electrocute you no matter how hard a person tries. Today it’s been discovered that the real cause of death for this 23 year old woman was a fake iPhone charger.

Yes, you read that right, a dinky little wall wart took the life of a human being. Now this could have happened to anyone. No one reading this wants to admit it, but we all hate paying $30 for a charger when a generic one can be had for less than $5. When I was back packing through Asia earlier this year, I saw iPhone chargers being sold on the street for as little as $0.50!

What’s the moral of the story? If you can afford a $600 phone, then you can afford to buy a $30 Apple charger. It doesn’t even need to be an Apple charger, actually. Anything that’s made by a reputable company will work and is likely safe.

Heck, I use a Nokia USB charger on a daily basis with a Samsung phone and an iPad. No problems.

Like this post? Share it!