As expected, Google has just released its new Maps app for iOS, which now includes support for the iPad.
Google gave a sneak preview of the next major version of Google Maps for iOS and Android at the Google I/O conference in San Francisco in May.
The new Google Maps for mobile, builds on the design of the iPhone app that was released last December. To recap, here are some of the new features and improvements:
- It will come with Zagat integration, showing a badge next to places that have expert curated user reviews from Zagat. This will be in addition to reviews from your friends and other Google users.
- The local search experience will feature a new 5-star rating system, which Google says will offer quick readability to help you make informed decisions.
- It will also come integrated with Google Offers experience, which will make it easier to find offers from Google’s daily deal service. Users will be able to save the offer to use them later. Places that have an offer will be displayed with an offers badge.
- It will include a number of key features to make the navigation experience even better on the mobile.
- It will come with a revamped incident experience which will display live coverage of incidents from all around the world. So in traffic view, you will be able to see incident alerts that you can tap on to see the details.
- Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation will be enhanced with dynamic rerouting. So if Google identifies an incident in your route, it will give you an early warning informing you that there is a faster route available.
- You can find places to eat, drink, shop, places to play and be entertained, and what have you, if you’re in an unfamiliar place via a new Explore tab.
- Quick and easy access to the street-view.
- All-new Google Maps experience for tablets like the iPad, which brings most of the features from the smartphone to tablets.
- It also includes support for in-door maps, a feature that was available in the Android version since last year.
The app seems to be available only in the Japanese App Store currently, so we expect it to hit the App Store in other countries shortly. Google Maps 2.0 is now available in the U.S. App Store and appears to be available in other countries as well. Thanks everyone for the heads up!
You should be able to download the update via the Updates tab in the App Store app or download it for free by clicking on the link below.
Let us know if it is available in your country.
HT: 9to5MacLike this post? Share it!