Apple has just announced the hotly anticipated iPhone 5S, the 7th generation model of its flagship iOS device.
As expected, iPhone 5S looks very much like the iPhone 5, but comes packed with new features and improvements.
The iPhone 5S will come in white, black and a new gold color. Just like iPhone 5, the black version will have a black anodized aluminum back and the white version will have a raw aluminum back. The new gold color is less gold and more champagne, and looks quite elegant.
The iPhone 5S will be powered by Apple’s next generation 64-bit A7 chip, making it the first smartphone to be powered by a 64-bit chip.
Apple’s A7 chip is the first mobile processor to support a “64-bit desktop-class architecture” with a modern instruction set, twice the general purpose registers and twice the floating point registers. While these terms are overly technical, it basically means that the CPU has a lot more space to do calculations, and to fully utilise these added registers, apps have to be specially built targeting the 64-bit architecture.
It will be over twice as fast in speed compared to the iPhone 5.
iPhone 5S supports OpenGL|ES 3.0, which will help performance of games.
Apple has added a dedicated motion tracking chip called the “M7 motion coprocessor” to the iPhone 5S. It enables apps to measure a whole lot of motion related data obtained from the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass without consuming a lot of battery and burdening the main A7 CPU. To expose these features to developers, Apple has added new CoreMotion APIs in iOS 7, which, because of the dependence of hardware, will remain exclusive to the iPhone 5S.
iPhone 5S offers improved battery life compared to iPhone 5, it will offer 10 hours of 3G or LTE talk time or browsing or 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing or 250 hours of standby time.
Improved camera system
- It comes with a new, five-element Apple-designed lens” with an F2.2 aperture. The sensor has 15 percent larger active area. The pixels are larger, which Apple says improves the quality of the photos.
- The iOS 7 camera app has been designed to take advantage of the new sensor. It sets white balance, exposure, creates a “dynamic local tone map,” “autofocus matrix metering” with 15 zones automatically.
- iPhone 5S comes with two LEDs for rear facing camera. One is cool and white, the other is warm and amber. The camera app will combine the two to get the right balance out of the flash.
- iPhone 5S camera also with auto image stabalization and a new burst mode, which takes 10 frames per second.
- It also features a new slow-motion camera mode that allows you to capture HD video at 720p at 120FPS.
As expected, one of the major new features of iPhone 5S is the fingerprint sensor, which will allow users to unlock their device without entering the passcode. Apple is calling it Touch ID and as the name suggests, all you need to do is place your finger on the Home button to unlock the device.
The Touch ID sensor is 170 microns thin, senses 500 ppi, scans your sub-epidermal skin layers. The ring around the Home button is just a detection ring to activate the sensor. The sensor is built into the Home button, and is covered by a sapphire crystal to prevent it from getting scratched.
The iPhone 5S will cost $199, $299 and $399 respectively for the 16GB, 32GB and models with a contract.
It will be available for pre-order on September 13th and go on sale on September 20 in 9 countires including U.S, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore and United Kingdom. It will be available in over 100 countries by December 2013.
Developing …. We’ll update the post as more details are available. Please follow our live blog for the coverage of the iPhone event as it happens.