Apple releases iOS 7.0.2 to fix Lock screen passcode bug
Apple has just released iOS 7.0.2 to fix the lock screen vulnerability.
The update is available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Here’s what’s new according to the release notes:
- Fixes bugs that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
- Reintroduces a Greek keyboard option for passcode entry
The update is available OTA and is just 17.2MB in size. Launch the Settings app, and navigate to General > Software Update to download and install the update.
iPhone owner Jose Rodriquez had discovered a security vulnerability in iOS 7, which let anyone bypass the Lock screen passcode and access sensitive information stored in photos, Twitter, email and more.
Here are the direct download links for iOS 7.0.2:
|iPad2(Wi-Fi) (iPad2,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2(AT&T) (iPad2,2)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2(Verizon) (iPad2,3)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2,4 (iPad2,4)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2,5 (iPad2,5)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2,6 (iPad2,6)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad2,7 (iPad2,7)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,1 (iPad3,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,2 (iPad3,2)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,3 (iPad3,3)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,4 (iPad3,4)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,5 (iPad3,5)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPad3,6 (iPad3,6)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone4 (iPhone3,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone3,2 (iPhone3,2)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone4(Verizon) (iPhone3,3)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone4S (iPhone4,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone5,1 (iPhone5,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone5,2 (iPhone5,2)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone5,3 (iPhone5,3)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone5,4 (iPhone5,4)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone6,1 (iPhone6,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPhone6,2 (iPhone6,2)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
|iPodTouch(5G) (iPod5,1)||7.0.2 (11A501)|
Follow these instructions to update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to iOS 7.0.2 using the firmware file:
- Download the appropriate iOS firmware file for your device.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer using an USB cable. Wait for iTunes to open and connect to your device.
- Click on device button to the left of the iTunes Store button in the top right corner in iTunes.
- Hold down on the option key (Mac) or the shift key (Windows) and click the “Check for Update” button in the Summary pane. Browse to the .ipsw file you downloaded and select it. Note: Alternatively, you can also try clicking on the “Check for Update” directly without using holding down on the Option key or the Shift key. If the iOS 7.0.2 update is available it will automatically download and update your device to iOS 7.0.2.
- Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
- If necessary, restore your device from the previous backup and sync with iTunes.
It is safe to update to iOS 7.0.2 only if you’re on iOS 7.0 or iOS 7.0.1. If you’re on iOS 6.x.x or lower, you should avoid updating to iOS 7.0.2. Check this post for more details.
Let us know how it goes in the comments and if you’ve discovered any other changes.