If you’ve just got your shiny new iPhone 5s and can’t wait to use it, here’s our step-by-step guide on how to set up and start using it.
- Turn on your iPhone by pressing the Sleep/Wake or Power button at the top.
- You will be greeted by the Hello screen as seen below. Swipe from left to right on the screen to begin the set up process.
- You will be prompted to select the Language. Tap on your preferred language. It will set up the language.
- Next select your country or region from the list.
- You will be prompted to choose a Wi-Fi network. Tap on the preferred Wi-Fi network.
- Next enter the password for your Wi-Fi network (if it is a secure network).
- Then choose if you want Location services to be enabled or disabled. If you want to use services like Find my iPhone, enable it.
- Here you can set up your iPhone as a New iPhone, or restore from iCloud Backup or from iTunes Backup. For the purpose of this guide, I’m setting up the iPhone as a New iPhone. Refer to this guide, if you want to transfer data from your old iPhone to the new iPhone 5s.
- You will then be prompted to sign in with your Apple ID or create a Free Apple ID. If you already have an Apple ID, select sign in with Your Apple ID.
- You will be prompted to agree to the Terms and Conditions. Tap on the Agree button in the bottom right corner of the screen. You will again prompted with a popup asking you to agree to the Terms and Conditions. Tap on Agree to proceed.
- It may take a few minutes to set up your Apple ID.
- Next, you will get an option to either use iCloud or Don’t Use iCloud. iCloud lets you access your music, photos, contacts, calendars and more on all your iOS devices automatically. I would recommend using it, so tap on the Use iCloud option.
- You will be prompted to Use or Don’t Use Find my iPhone. Find My iPhone is a free service that allows you to locate, lock, and erase your iPhone if you lose it. With iOS 7, Find My iPhone also includes Activation Lock, so someone will need your Apple ID and password to erase or reactivate your iPhone. I would recommend you to use Find my iPhone, so tap on Use Find my iPhone option.
- You will now get the option to select the email ids and phone numbers that can be used to contact you via iMessage and FaceTime.
- It will now update iCloud settings.
- The next step is to set up Touch ID finger fingerprint sensor, one of the major new features of Apple’s new iPhone. Touch ID allows you to use your fingerprint to unlock your iPhone without needing a passcode. If you don’t want to set it up immediately, select Set Up Later Option, otherwise tap on the Set Up Now option.
- Next you will be prompted to Set Up FingerPrints. Scan the finger or thumb you normally use on the Home button.
- Now place the finger or thumb on the Home button. Lift and rest your finger on the Home button repeatedly. You will see that the fingerprint animation on the display fills up with red color as you progress. It should take less than a minute to set it up.
- After the entire fingerprint animation turns red, it will prompt you to adjust your grip to capture the edges of your fingerprint.
- Again place your finger on your Home button, this time however, lift and rest the edge of your finger on Home Button repeatedly.
- After the entire fingerprint animation turns red, it will inform that Touch ID was successfully set up, and your fingerprint can now be used for unlocking your iPhone. Tap on Continue.
- You will be prompted to create a Passcode. Enter four-digit passcode, and then re-enter it.
- You can also use Touch ID to approve purchases on iTunes Store, the App Store and the iBooks Store. Tap on Use Touch ID for Purchases if you want to use this feature or Set Up Later.
- You will now get an option to enable Siri, Apple’s intelligent Personal Assistant, which can be used to make phone calls, send a message, dictate a note, check the weather and lots more using voice commands. It can be accessed by long pressing the Home button. Tap Use Siri if you want to use it or the Don’t Use option if you want to keep it disable.
- Next tap on Automatically Send if you want to send diagnostics and usage data to Apple. If not, tap on the Don’t Send option.
- You will now be greeted by the Welcome to iPhone screen.
- Tap on Get Started to go to the Home screen, and start using your new iPhone 5s.
Here’s a step-by-step video walkthrough of the setup process:
Let us know how it goes. Please feel free to drop us a line if you’ve any questions.
Like this post? Share it!