Apple has finally released iOS 7.1 (build number: 11D167) for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Apple seeded the first beta version of iOS 7.1 to developers on November 18th, and had seeded 5 beta versions so far.
According to the release notes, iOS 7.1 includes a number of improvements and bug fixes. Here’s the complete list of improvements and bug fixes in iOS 7.1 from the release notes:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car’s touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you’re done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- iTunes Radio
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
iOS 7.1 is available for the following iOS devices:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4
- iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
Warning for Jailbreakers
Apple has patched number of vulnerabilities in iOS 7.1 that was used by evasi0n7 jailbreak, so jailbreakers should avoid upgrading to iOS 7.1 until further notice as you will lose the jailbreak and won’t be able to jailbreak your device.
If you want to update to iOS 7.1
If you don’t care about jailbreaking then you can update your device to iOS 7.1 wirelessly or “over the air.” Before you update it is recommended that you take a backup of your device using iTunes or iCloud.
After taking your backup, plug in your device to a power source, launch the Settings app, navigate to General > Software Update, and install the update.
Direct download links:
If the iOS 7.1 is not available over the air, you can update your device manually by downloading the iOS 7.1 firmware file. We’ll update the post with direct download links shortly.
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad mini (Model A1489)
- iPad mini (Model A1490)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi 3rd generation
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
Updated the post with the complete list of improvements and bug fixes.
Updated the post with direct download links. So if you don’t get the over-the-air update, you can update your device by downloading the firmware files.
Here’s the exhaustive list of all the new iOS 7.1 features, improvements, refinements and bug fixes, along with a detailed video walkthrough.
Apple has stopped signing iOS 7.0.6, so if you won’t be able to downgrade back to iOS 7.0.6 if you had upgraded to iOS 7.1 beta.
To everyone hoping they could come down off the 7.1betas while signing window was still open…the window just now slammed shut
— MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) March 10, 2014
If you’ve trouble installing the iOS 7.1 update, then check out our step-by-step guide.
pod2g of evad3rs’ team has said that evasi0n7 jailbreak will unlikely be updated for iOS 7.1. Check this post for more details.
Apple has released updates for the following apps with the iOS 7.1 update:
- Remote [iTunes Link]
- GarageBand [iTunes Link]
- Logic Remote [iTunes Link]
- Podcasts [iTunes Link]
- Apple Configurator [iTunes Link]
Let us know if you’ve found any changes or improvements in iOS 7.1 in the comments below.