Apple today issued updates to a number of its products including OS X Mavericks, iTunes and iTunes Connect. The company also updated the Podcasts app with a whole bunch of new features including Siri integration, CarPlay support and improved podcast browsing.
Apple says that with Podcasts 2.1, you can now ask Siri to simple “play podcasts”, or more specifically ask it to play a particular podcast like “play TEDTalks”. The app also adds support for CarPlay, letting you play episodes directly from your car’s dashboard.
Here are the full release notes:
This update includes several improvements that make playing your favorite podcasts even easier:
Improved Episode Browsing
• Quickly find episodes you haven’t listened to in the new Unplayed tab
• Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
• Save your favorite episodes to keep them offline
• Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them
• Tap on links that appear in podcast and episode descriptions to open them in Safari
• You can now ask Siri to play podcast episodes by simply saying “play podcasts”
• To play specific podcasts or stations, just ask Siri to play them by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Please note that Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
• Podcasts now supports CarPlay
• Start playing a station right from the stations list — just tap the Play button next to the station name
• Share links to your favorite podcasts using AirDrop
This update also resolves playback issues after syncing with iTunes and improves stability while downloading podcasts.
If the app hasn’t been automatically updated, you can download the update via the Updates tab in the App Store app or use the iTunes link below.