Apple has just seeded beta 2 of iOS 8 to registered developers of its iOS developer program. Apple unveiled iOS 8 earlier this month with a number of new features like Handoff, custom keyboards, widgets, interactive notifications etc. Here’s what’s new in iOS 8 beta 2.
- The Podcasts app is now preinstalled with iOS 8. In current builds, users who want to use the app have to download it from the App Store.
- A new Podcasts app welcome screen detailing new features in the app:
- Apple has fixed a huge annoyance with ads in Safari. “Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction.”
- There’s a new introduction screen for Private Browsing in Safari:
- You can now quickly add a site to Shared Links or save a bookmark by tapping and holding on the bookmarks button.
- Apple’s QuickType keyboard suggestions are now available on the iPad as well.
(Image via 9t05Mac)
- iMessage Camera and Voice icons aren’t blue anymore, but grey instead.
- There’s a new Home Data menu under Settings > Privacy that’ll list apps that access your Home Data via HomeKit.
- There’s a new “Raise to listen” option for Messages.
- The brightness slider in Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper works again.
- The arrow “>” at the end of each row in the root level of the Settings app has now disappeared.
- A new iCloud Photos welcome screen.
(Image via MacRumors)
- There’s a new option to Mark all Messages as read in the Messages app. Update: Marawan points out that this was available in beta 1.
- The Assistive Touch menu now has options for Control Center and Notification Center.
- iBooks now combines books that are part of the same series.
- There’s finally a way to mute all notifications from an app with a single toggled called “Allow Notifications”. Previously, you had to switch off all types of notifications for an app to completely disable notifications.
- iOS 8 brought a new option to view battery consumption by app. Beta 2 now also lets you see how much battery your iPhone used when there was no network coverage.
(Image via MacRumors)
- The Photos app has new albums for Bursts photos and Slo-Mo videos. This way, users can easily browse through their slo-mo videos or burst photos. (Thanks Philipp and Gonçalo!)
This video shows off most of the changes discovered in iOS 8 beta 2:
We’ll keep on updating this post as we find more changes. If you find anything new that hasn’t been mentioned here then please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them in the comments below.