Pangu jailbreak for iOS 7.1.X released last week to everyone’s surprise by a mysterious team of Chinese jailbreak developers. It was however only available for Windows, and the entire interface was in Chinese. The Pangu team today updated their jailbreak tool to v1.1, adding a Mac version, and English support. This post gives you step-by-step instructions to jailbreak your iOS device with Pangu for Mac.
Some important points before you proceed:
- This tutorial is for Mac users. Windows users can check this tutorial.
- Please note Pangu is an untethered jailbreak for iOS 7.1 and iOS 7.1.1.
- Pangu supports following iOS 7.1 – iOS 7.1.1 devices:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
- iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2
- iPad mini, Retina iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
- Please disable the passcode as the jailbreak may fail, if the passcode is enabled (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock On -> Turn Passcode Off).
- Take a backup of your device using iTunes before proceeding.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iOS device may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
Step 1: Download the latest version of Pangu jailbreak for Mac from this page.
Step 2: Make sure your device will work with Pangu. According to the Chinese website, the following devices are compatible with this version of the jailbreak:
Step 3: Connect your device to your computer, and use iCloud or iTunes to back up any and all personal information that you need to keep safe. The jailbreak has been reported to be working in most cases, but on the off chance something goes wrong, it’s a good idea to have an escape plan.
Step 4: Double click on the Pangu_v1.1.dmg file you just downloaded to mount it.
Step 5: You should now see a new window with a Pangu.app icon.
Step 6: Click on the icon to open Pangu.app. You should be presented with a screen like the one seen below. Once you’re ready and connected, click on the Jailbreak button to start the process:
Step 7: Follow the on-screen instructions. The app will ask you at one point to set your device to June 2nd. To do this, go to Settings -> General -> Date & Time.
Step 8: After you change the date, it should restart the process and install the Pangu app on your iOS device.
Step 9: Tap on the Pangu app on the Home screen of your device when prompted to continue with the jailbreak process.
Step 10: When you launch the Pangu app, it prompts you with the following message “Are you sure you want to open the Application “Pangu” from the Devoloper “iPhone Distributon: Hefei Bo Fan communication technology co. LTD”? Tap on Continue to proceed.
Step 11: Wait for your device to reboot several times. After a few minutes you should see that you have Cydia on your home screen and you’ll be ready to start installing tweaks on iOS 7.1.x.
You can also check out our video tutorial on to jailbreak iOS 7.1 or iOS 7.1.1 using Pangu:
After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your jailbroken device secure. Check our post for the list of compatible jailbreak apps and tweaks for iOS 7.1.1 if you’ve successfully jailbroken your device.
As always, let us know how it goes in the comments below.