It includes a number of improvements and enables new iOS 8 features that were announced by Apple at WWDC Keynote in June such as SMS Relay, enables Apple’s NFC based Apply Pay mobile payment service, iCloud Photo Library in beta, and restores the Camera roll. Here’s the complete list of new features, improvements and fixes in iOS 8.1 as per the release notes:
iOS 8.1 is available as a free upgrade for the following iOS devices:
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s
- iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2
- Retina iPad mini, 1st gen iPad mini
- 5th generation iPod touch
The update is available as an OTA download for these devices currently. Below are the direct download links for iOS 8.1. You can follow our guide if you need help on how to install the iOS 8.1 update without losing your data.
- iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad mini 3 (Model A1599)
- iPad mini 3 (Model A1600)
- iPad mini 3 (Model A1601)
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad Air (Model A1476)
- iPad mini 2 (Model A1489)
- iPad mini 2 (Model A1490)
- iPad mini 2 (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi 3rd generation
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s
The SMS Relay feature is part of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite’s Continuity feature, which allows you to send SMS messages from your iPad, iPod touch or Mac using your iPhone.
iOS 8.1 also enables Apple Pay, Apple’s mobile payments system on the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 (whenever they go on sale). The feature is built within Passbook, and authorises your purchases with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. You’ll be able to start paying at over 220,000 stores such as McDonald’s with your iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. You will also be able to make payments within apps that add support for Apple Pay using Touch ID on your iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3.
Updated the post with the complete change log.
Updated the post with direct download links for iOS 8.1.
Let us know if you’ve found any other changes or improvements in iOS 8.1 in the comments below.Like this post? Share it!