The Pangu team released an iOS 8 — iOS 8.1 jailbreak earlier today, taking all of us by surprise. The tool is however Windows only, in Chinese and doesn’t include Cydia.
So in this post, we try to answer if you should jailbreak with Pangu right away, or wait for some time.
- The most important reason you should avoid the Pangu jailbreak is that it’s currently meant only for developers to update their apps and tweaks.
- The current version of the jailbreak doesn’t include Cydia, the app that lets you install other jailbreak apps and tweaks. saurik is working on making Cydia compatible with iOS 8.
- None of the jailbreak apps and tweaks would be compatible.
- Over-the-air updated devices may not work. Instead, you might have to do a fresh install of iOS 8.1.
- The tool is Windows only, with a Mac version coming, but not in the “near future”
- Another limitation is that the tool is currently in Chinese. The team says an English version should be coming in a few days.
- The initial version of the Pangu 8 jailbreak had a bug that resulted in photos being lost. While the team updated the jailbreak tool to remove this bug, you should wait for a while until the tool becomes more stable.
- Pangu for iOS 7.1 raised alarms for containing malware, and while this version doesn’t seem to have anything, you should wait until security experts weigh on this.
- Even though Cydia isn’t released, the Pangu team could update their jailbreak tool, letting you install Cydia without having to SSH into the device, or deal with the command line.
- While the chances of this are slim, if Apple does release an update soon with these exploits patched, you’ll be better off if you jailbroke your device right now, than waiting.
Let us know what you think about this jailbreak. Are you going to jailbreak right away, or wait until Cydia comes out?