In earlier versions of iOS, Apple provided a quick way to tweet or post a Facebook status right from the Notification Center. It later pulled this feature from iOS, but you can get it back with TapToShare, a new Today widget that brings back the same buttons to iOS.
TapToShare is an iOS 8 widget that you can add to Notification Center’s Today section. It comes with two buttons, one for posting to Twitter and the other to post to Facebook, which looks quite similar to the sharing widget available in iOS 6.
Follow these instructions to post to Facebook and Twitter:
- Download and install TapToShare widget for free from the App Store using this iTunes link.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the Notification Center, then tap on the Today tab.
- Scroll down and tap on the Edit button.
- Tap on the green + button to add the TapToShare widget to the Today view.
- To start using the widget, you first need to login to your Facebook and Twitter accounts via the Settings app (Settings > Facebook and Settings > Twitter).
Compose a new post or Tweet
- After you’ve logged into the Facebook and Twitter account, tap on Tap to Post to create a Facebook post or tap on Tap to Tweet to compose a tweet.
- Tap on Post to publish the Facebook post or tweet to your timeline.
The drawback with the TapToShare widget is that, tapping on the Tap to Post and Tap to Tweet buttons will launch the TapToShare app, which means you end up leaving the current app you’re using. In iOS 6, you could post directly from the Notification Center without leaving the app you’re currently using.
Note: If you want an even quicker way to post to Facebook or Twitter, you can try asking Siri to tweet something for you.