“Live long and prosper.” That famous Vulcan salute has lived on for generations and has made Spock one of the most recognizable characters of all time. There were rumblings of the Vulcan salute, aka the Spock emoji being added to iOS 8.3, but sadly those rumors turned out to be false — well, kind of. iOS 8.3 and iOS 8.4 does support the Spock emoji, you just have to do a little bit of work to enable it without jailbreaking your iPhone or iPad.
How to unlock the hidden Spock emoji
- In order to add the Vulcan salute Spock emoji, copy the emoji from the tweet below on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.3 or later. Alternatively, you can go to the tweet and copy it from there.
- With the Spock emoji copied, go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts.
- Tap the plus icon in the top-right to add a new shortcut.
- Paste the Vulcan Salute in the “Phrase” section.
- Add the shortcut, (Llap) is probably the best shortcut to use. Save your new shortcut.
Now whenever you type Llap, the Spock emoji will be available to use.
Remember that you must use the Apple iOS QuickType keyboard in order to use shortcuts. And anyone with iOS 8.3+ or OS X 10.10.3+ will be able to see the Spock emoji even if they do not have the secret enabled on their device.
There is no word on when the Spock emoji/Vulcan Salute will officially be added to iOS, but we will keep on eye out for it. Let us know if you ran into any issues adding the Spock emoji in the comment section.