WhatsApp started rolling out the WhatsApp Web feature at the beginning of this year. However, at that time, it was available only for Android users.
WhatsApp had said that the web client wasn’t available for the iPhone due to “platform limitations.” iPhone users had to rely on jailbreaking to use the web client on the desktop with the iPhone.
The good news is that WhatsApp seems to have figured out a way to get WhatsApp web with the iPhone and earlier this week has started rolling it out. Find out how to setup and use WhatsApp web on your desktop using your iPhone.
Since you don’t login to WhatsApp using a username and password, the setup process for WhatsApp web is a little unconventional. Here are some prerequisites:
- Your iPhone must be connected to the Internet and the WhatsApp app should be installed on it for WhatsApp Web to work.
- You need the latest version of WhatsApp.
- You need to use the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Safari on your computer.
How to set up and use WhatsApp web on your desktop using your iPhone
- Visit web.whatsapp.com on your computer. It will display a QR code.
- Launch WhatsApp from your iPhone’s Home screen.
- Tap on the Settings tab, and then tap on WhatsApp Web. [Note: If you don’t see the WhatsApp Web option, please ensure you have the latest version of WhatsApp on your iPhone. Since WhatsApp is rolling out the feature in a staggered manner, the WhatsApp web option may not be available to everyone at the time of writing this post.]
- Scan the QR code on your computer screen with your iPhone.
That’s it. You can now start using WhatsApp on your desktop.
Turn On WhatsApp Notifications on your desktop
If you want to get WhatsApp notifications for new messages on your desktop, then follow these steps:
- Click “Turn on desktop notifications” option in the top-left corner.
- Click “Allow” button in the Show Notifications dialog box to enable WhatsApp Web notifications.
You have the option to mute Notifications for 1 hour, 1 day or a week.
- Click the menu icon to the top left corner.
- Click “Notifications” from the menu.
- Click on the down arrow in the Notifications dialogue box.
- Click on “Turn off alerts and sounds for ..” and select the desired period of time.
Log out from your computers
After you’ve set up WhatsApp Web on your desktop, you will see it in the list of logged in computers, when you navigate to Settings > WhatsApp Web in the WhatsApp app on your iPhone.
If you want to stop using WhatsApp Web client on your computer, then tap on Log out from all computers, followed by Log out.
It is great to finally use WhatsApp on the desktop though I am not a big fan of web clients. I think a native client would offer a much better experience. Please note that web client connects to your iPhone to sync messages, so you connect to a Wi-Fi network on your iP
Let me know how it goes. Let me know if you’ve any questions on how to use WhatsApp Web on your desktop with your iPhone.